Tuesday 26 December 2017

Challenge consideration for 2018

uk.businessinsider.com

My Achilles heel is books. I love them, whether I actually read them or not. I buy them, I look at them on my shelves, I ponder them, and although it's hard, I can actually get rid of them (get rid of = donate) so I don't have quite the same issue as the lady in the photo. It's my only genuine hobby and is something I've done since I was a kid.

The past few days I added a "few" more books (20?) to my Kindle - not all of them free. As I have them organised into categories, I decided to add up how many I actually have: 412. Yikes! That's not including the ones on my shelves and if I include those I probably have almost 450. Based on the number of books I've read this year (61), that's just over 7 years worth of reading.

I set myself a goal to read 100 books this year (I managed 104 last year), but have struggled with it. I haven't been able to engage as fully in my reading this year for some reason. Regardless, I'm going to adjust accordingly for 2018 and be a bit more modest in that goal - after all, there are other goals I have in mind too - and perhaps take a bit more time to enjoy the books, rather than simply rushing through them to meet a random goal.

I belong to Netgalley, which issues free ARC copies of new books to readers around the world in exchange for reviews, so I read books from that. I have my library app which I can use for up to five books at a time, anytime I like. I scour Amazon for free books (now that I know they're there). I have to come to terms with the fact that, sadly, I will never be able to read all the books out there. Ever. I have to keep my focus smaller. I am a sad bunny because of that, but what can you do? ;)

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't NEED to pay for any books yet I still do. Thus my consideration of a 'Bought Book Ban' for 2018. This will both allow me to save money and give more focuses consideration to what I already have. Some I'm going to thoroughly enjoy, some I'm not, as is always the case. But I have a number of non-fiction ones focused on money that I want to really concentrate on and take the time to work on properly. I'm aware of the irony in that...

Anyway. Obviously setting out for a year's ban is a bit of a stretch so I'll start with January and go from there. Addiction recovery of any kind only works a day at a time (this relates more to spending money/buying stuff than the actual books).

Suggestions and thoughts most welcome as always.

9 comments:

Jolie said...

I haven't read nearly as much as I have used to. I blame Netflix mostly ( my own choice to be sure). I miss the days when I would devour several books over a weekend.

T'Pol said...

Dear NLA, if I were in your shoes, I would not buy any more books until I read at least half of what you have or at least reading all that I have paid for.

Can you calculate how much you have paid for the non-free books? May be if you calculate that and post that number at some places visible such as the dashboard of the car, your bathroom mirror, your bookshelves, you can envision what else could have been done with that much money and stop yourself from buying books. I know the library system in the US is pretty good. I have no idea if it is good or not in Britain. If it is, you can pretty much read all books for free if you are patient enough.
Good Luck! Happy New Year!

MW said...

I've unfortunately moved away from reading books the last number of years.

Think it is due to decreased patience with long reads and being negatively influenced by how short and quick media info is nowadays -- Not a good thing.

Need to pick up one of my favourites to kick start things again. Outside of the recent dry spell, I'm a lover of books as well, so can understand.

Thank you for your lovely message the other day. Sorry for the delay as I've been out of range and for some reason, blogger is acting strange and now I can't find it, so want you to know here that it was lovely to read your well wishes once I got back to civilization!

Am currently on a detox and it's back to work for me this week. Hope you are at least feeling a million times better and have recovered. Here's to great 2018!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi T'Pol: Yes, I'm thinking along the same lines as you - no more bought books until I've read most of what I already have. It just doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

I did as you suggested and added up my (online) purchases and the amount was both more and less than I expected. Less because I actually thought I had bought more than that, but more because all those little 0.99 add up quickly! It doesn't, however, take into consideration all the books I bought at thrift shops (I'll add another £80 to the total for that, a slight overestimation I think, but not by much). Thank you for the excellent suggestion - it really has opened my eyes. And the library system here is excellent, so I have no excuse. Happy New Year to you, too! xx


Hi MW! Reading is so therapeutic. I appreciate the long reads/less patience aspect of things, but I hope you can find something that will kick start the love again!

I'm glad you got the message. I knew I had left one and then couldn't figure out where it had gone!

Hope the detox gets you back on track for the new year. I've actually signed up for another No-Sugar programme starting in about a week, so am looking forward to it. I really need it!! Happy New Year to you! xx

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jolie! How strange that I didn't get your comment before the other two. Netflix is dangerous! I spent a couple of days reading while I was sick and managed to get through a couple of books, which was great, but spend a lot of time reading in bed - which is mostly the reason I go to bed so early. I've been finding it really difficult to engage this year though. I think it's related to 'menopause brain' and the heavy fog that comes with it. *sigh* xx

Jane said...

While I haven't calculated the cost of all the books laying around here I am making an effort to read them and then donate. I really really want to get rid of the many piles around the house. A lot have been given to me as I have a sister and a brother and a couple friends who pass their's off to me when they are done. So it seems like a never ending project!!
I had this grand idea that my retirement would consist of me reading a couple books everyday but that's hardly the case. So a couple months ago I decided I have to make reading more of a priority. I enjoy it so much! Let's make 2018 the year of reading what we already own!
Happy New Year Annie!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane! I'm definitely onboard with the 'reading what we already own' plan. I actually returned a few of the books I bought, so am feeling marginally less annoyed with myself. I have to be honest with myself, too, and realise that there are some I simply won't read (if I've had them for 'x' years already and haven't yet read them, what makes me think 2018 will be different?). These will simply have to be donated unread.

Happy New Year, Jane! xx

~Carla~ said...

A month "book ban" is a good thing! You're like with me with fabric... lol! I won't be buying any fabric this month at all, but I did make a purchase before we left NS and it'll be in the mail this upcoming week I hope! LOL!! I do hope to use up more of what I have however and stop buying so much "just because". Good luck with your ban! ;)

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Carla! It's terrible, isn't it? So much fabric, so many books - so little time for it all! I do need to take a photo of some of the fabrics at the beautiful fabric store near work for you, though. Not quite Liberty of London, but lovely nonetheless. 25-days to go! xx