What have I been doing? That's a good question.
- I'm almost 50% through my Pathology course. I'm picking away at it and doing well so far. It's more or less designed for massage therapists, so the 'therapist's notes' portions aren't necessarily relevant to me as I won't be doing that programme. I'm going to concentrate on 'just' understanding the actual pathologies, rather than the therapy required to both save myself some time and some reading.
- Roomie P was at his parents' for a week and it felt like a month! I was by myself for most of the time, as Roomie E works long hours. It was nice but also a bit odd, as even when neither of them is here, I don't feel 'alone' in the house yet I felt that way last week. How funny!
- The chickens are happy and healthy and I've been collecting a good number of eggs from them. People tell me they're delicious, so I suppose I should really try a couple! I actually managed to pet one the other day - soft! - although they weren't really thrilled about it. They're still getting used to me, I think.
- Work is steady, not overly busy but not dead either, although it is coming up to that time of year. We're busier this year than we were last year at this time, so that's something at least, and hopefully, the momentum will see us through to the holidays.
- Thursday night I went to a ladies' group meeting with the group I'd been part of for the past year. It was so nice to see everyone! I stayed overnight with one of the ladies and from there I took myself to my hospital appointment on Friday (found my way to the hospital on my own - woot!). That was a pretty miserable experience and not what I had anticipated. I was expecting just a chat to see how I'm doing after my procedure in May, but it turned out the doctor wanted another sample (something to do with the womb lining changing - so this is a pre-pre-pre-cancer check, from the way I understand it). Fair enough. Except that it's an exceptionally painful procedure to endure for me these days (not that it's ever fun or discomfort-free, but let's just say there were tears involved this time).
- This just means I'm put on a waitlist for another out-patient procedure, literally so they can get a sample that would normally take about 5 minutes. I'll be under general anaesthetic again... :( But as it's much less invasive and quicker than the other procedure, the recovery time will be far quicker so that's something.
- I've found myself a part-time job! Roomie E works at a 5* hotel about 10-minutes from home and spoke with her boss about some potential work for me (even if it's just over Christmas). I am now the washer and polisher of glasses for the sommelier department. Literally. That's all I do for about 3 hours a night. It's perfect, although hot and noisy as I'm located at the back of the kitchen. But I'm not dealing with the (5*) public and it apparently does help the sommeliers if the glasses are prepared and back area is tidied, as this is normally something they would do. I just go in at peak times (7-10, 8-11 sort of thing). And only on Fri/Sat nights as this is not something I'd leave or compromise my day job for. I'm on a zero-hours contract, which means no commitment from either side which is actually perfect. I can pick up/turn down shifts as I like or as I'm needed. This will help with at least a couple of loan payments and hopefully also get me a new set of front tires for the car.
- I had hoped to do Nanowrimo again this year, but that hasn't happened.
- I'm still fiddling with my budget and have made a couple of purchases I'm considering returning. My 'need/want' switch seems to be stuck, so I think I'm going with my post-spend nudges and send the items back.
- I have a long weekend this weekend, so am looking forward to tomorrow as well as it means I have a whole day to recover from the weekend. Yesterday I was fighting a headache ALL day - I finally took some ibuprofen later in the afternoon and that got rid of it, but last night I remembered to take water with me and went through about 1.5L whilst I was working, so that helped immensely. I'm not nearly as dehydrated this morning.
- I do, however, need a better pair of shoes. I'm wearing boots and they're just not appropriate - far too hot - so I need to scour the grocery store lines and the second-hand shops for something cheap and cheerful.
Otherwise, I've been quiet and just enjoying my space.