Sunday 19 November 2017

Mid-November update

carersfirst.com

What have I been doing? That's a good question.
  • I'm almost 50% through my Pathology course. I'm picking away at it and doing well so far. It's more or less designed for massage therapists, so the 'therapist's notes' portions aren't necessarily relevant to me as I won't be doing that programme. I'm going to concentrate on 'just' understanding the actual pathologies, rather than the therapy required to both save myself some time and some reading.
  • Roomie P was at his parents' for a week and it felt like a month! I was by myself for most of the time, as Roomie E works long hours. It was nice but also a bit odd, as even when neither of them is here, I don't feel 'alone' in the house yet I felt that way last week. How funny!
  • The chickens are happy and healthy and I've been collecting a good number of eggs from them. People tell me they're delicious, so I suppose I should really try a couple! I actually managed to pet one the other day - soft! - although they weren't really thrilled about it. They're still getting used to me, I think.
  • Work is steady, not overly busy but not dead either, although it is coming up to that time of year. We're busier this year than we were last year at this time, so that's something at least, and hopefully, the momentum will see us through to the holidays.
  • Thursday night I went to a ladies' group meeting with the group I'd been part of for the past year. It was so nice to see everyone! I stayed overnight with one of the ladies and from there I took myself to my hospital appointment on Friday (found my way to the hospital on my own - woot!). That was a pretty miserable experience and not what I had anticipated. I was expecting just a chat to see how I'm doing after my procedure in May, but it turned out the doctor wanted another sample (something to do with the womb lining changing - so this is a pre-pre-pre-cancer check, from the way I understand it). Fair enough. Except that it's an exceptionally painful procedure to endure for me these days (not that it's ever fun or discomfort-free, but let's just say there were tears involved this time). 
  • This just means I'm put on a waitlist for another out-patient procedure, literally so they can get a sample that would normally take about 5 minutes. I'll be under general anaesthetic again... :( But as it's much less invasive and quicker than the other procedure, the recovery time will be far quicker so that's something.
  • I've found myself a part-time job! Roomie E works at a 5* hotel about 10-minutes from home and spoke with her boss about some potential work for me (even if it's just over Christmas). I am now the washer and polisher of glasses for the sommelier department. Literally. That's all I do for about 3 hours a night. It's perfect, although hot and noisy as I'm located at the back of the kitchen. But I'm not dealing with the (5*) public and it apparently does help the sommeliers if the glasses are prepared and back area is tidied, as this is normally something they would do. I just go in at peak times (7-10, 8-11 sort of thing). And only on Fri/Sat nights as this is not something I'd leave or compromise my day job for. I'm on a zero-hours contract, which means no commitment from either side which is actually perfect. I can pick up/turn down shifts as I like or as I'm needed. This will help with at least a couple of loan payments and hopefully also get me a new set of front tires for the car.
  • I had hoped to do Nanowrimo again this year, but that hasn't happened. 
  • I'm still fiddling with my budget and have made a couple of purchases I'm considering returning. My 'need/want' switch seems to be stuck, so I think I'm going with my post-spend nudges and send the items back.
  • I have a long weekend this weekend, so am looking forward to tomorrow as well as it means I have a whole day to recover from the weekend. Yesterday I was fighting a headache ALL day - I finally took some ibuprofen later in the afternoon and that got rid of it, but last night I remembered to take water with me and went through about 1.5L whilst I was working, so that helped immensely. I'm not nearly as dehydrated this morning.
  • I do, however, need a better pair of shoes. I'm wearing boots and they're just not appropriate - far too hot - so I need to scour the grocery store lines and the second-hand shops for something cheap and cheerful.
Otherwise, I've been quiet and just enjoying my space.

6 comments:

MW said...

Sorry you had some painful episodes this week -- Hope that next procedure really is easier, like they say.

Great news on the extra job! Didn't realize you hadn't had any eggs yet -- Brave girl for reaching out and petting one!

Enjoy your long weekend!

T'Pol said...

Congrats on the part time job. I think that is a very wise move. As we all have to deal with wants and needs, there are a couple of tricks I found reading PF blogs:
1. When you want to buy a certain item, give yourself a whole week before you make the purchase.
or,
2. Carry a small notebook in your pocketbook and make a list of items you want to buy. Every once in a while, go back to the list and cross the ones that you truly do not need or the ones that your urge of ownership has somehow passed. If there are items you still want to get say, in two weeks or so, save up for it and take cash with you. Before, you make the purchase, ask yourself: Do I really need this? How will I feel when I have it? Wouldn't I have rather less debt? You know there may be questions that you can make up too.

I usually ask myself whether I can live without that particular item. Since it is a strong statement, I find that I can most certainly live without 99% of my wants.

This weekend I saw some real pretty bedding stuff. I imagined how my bed and my guest room bed might look like. Then I figured, if I bought those two particular sets that I liked, they would not match the curtains. There is a place where I can get inexpensive curtains. All of a sudden I realized what I was doing and stopped myself. It was hard. I still think the rooms will be prettier but, I already have a lot of stuff that I can use and pretty is not a need.

Sorry if you think I am preaching but I am not. I have to deal with the battle of wants and needs almost on a daily basis.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi MW! Yes, I think the next one will be fine, but I'm not particularly happy that it takes a general anaesthetic to happen! Ah well.

New job isn't particularly exciting, but I actually spend a lot of time walking back and forth to the station and the back, so I'm actually getting a little bit of exercise, which is good.I just need to remember to stay hydrated as the hotel is ridiculously hot. My station at the back is actually the coolest place in the kitchen, so I'm lucky in that respect. xx

Hi T'Pol! Not preaching at all. On the contrary, I'm quite open to suggestions and thoughts on this, so yours are most welcome. I like the idea of writing lists (who doesn't love a good list?) to keep track of wants & needs. I actually used to do this but have fallen away from that the past decade or so. It's a great idea, thank you! xx

Jane said...

Hi Annie! You are really getting things done! I'm glad you got to your original women's group once again - I hoped that you would as you had such a good time with them. And way to go on the side gig - the flexibility is perfect and doesn't tire out your brain too much! AND you're getting on with your course! Proud of you!
I got dinged for a stupid purchase just yesterday. I was working on family history and found a document regarding my grandfather's service in the militia. Or so I thought...I couldn't view it til I paid for it, so I did thinking how many Rowland Harrisons born in 1879 could there be? So I paid the download fee 3L50 only to find it wasn't MY Rowland Harrison. Damn. So from now on I will NOT purchase sight unseen. It's not a fortune but it's very irritating.

Hawaii Planner said...

I like the idea of a super flexible job. Sounds like a good way to get out & save up a bit from hours that you aren't engaged in your existing job!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane! I'm not sure where my original comment went as I KNOW I responded to you on here. Anyhow - thank you! :D I'm feeling a little bit accomplished, so I know I'm taking the right steps forward. Online geneaology can be a bit frustrating, can't it? Frustrating that you can't fully see what you're paying for until you pay for it. Hopefully, the next one is the right one! x

Hi HP! Yes, it's perfect, really (except the 'it's not a bookstore' part), but as it's so flexible, it means I can more or less leave anytime. The extra money will be great for as long as it lasts, but I have to be mindful that it wears me out and I need to keep my ft job as my priority focus. I'm not 25 anymore, apparently. x