Monday 30 October 2017

Thinking ahead

jean-outhout.blogspot.com

I'm thinking ahead to the end of the year and some goal setting, but the two words above came to me a couple of days ago as my 'theme', if you will, for the new year.

I (by nature? by nurture?) don't tend to give a lot of thought to my purchases, instead going on my impulses. That instant gratification, the Thrill of the Buy, the ongoing 'want vs need' war.

The purpose of this theme is to get me consciously thinking about what I spend, what I do/don't do, eat, etc.; to focus and make me differentiate between excuses and reasons, and to fill my time more purposefully, whatever I feel that may be.

I spend a lot (A LOT!) of time on electronics - my iPad, my computer, the TV. I don't spend nearly enough time reading (although a huge number of my books are on my iPad now so that's a bit of a catch 22), walking, cooking, baking. I don't spend ANY time meditating, doing yoga, or simply resting.

So when this popped into my head the other day, I jumped at it. It's not meant to be an exercise of spending hours deliberating about the reasons/justifications to do/not do something, just to literally give me a few seconds to consider, reasonably, about my choice or option and why/why not.

Why wait to go for a walk? Why wait to take myself away from Candy Crush? Why wait to read that page for school? Why wait to have tea/cake/bacon? Why wait to purchase a new set of boots? Why wait to have an apple?

The little changes will hopefully work into larger ones, and also help me to live more in the moment, rather than terminally waiting for the 'when I...' of the future which never seems to happen. I struggle with this.

Funnily enough, I came across this video this morning, posted by a friend on FB and it, almost literally, is exactly what I'm trying to do, only said with much more clarity and meaning than I could ever do.




It's 22 minutes long, but it doesn't really feel like it. It sort of tapers off at the end with a plug for 'learn more at', but the bulk of the message is there and I really appreciated it.

Just be more conscious and work to define needs/wants more clearly. Train the brain! :D

thedosomethingproject.com

2 comments:

Jane said...

I can see myself in that video and I'm going to try it. 5 4 3 2 1 !! I hesitate in doing a lot of things and then the moment is lost. Good find Annie.
It does tie in nicely to "why wait?" Now that I'm 61 I find that if I don't do the things I'm thinking about right then and there I will forget what it was within about 5 seconds!! So if I notice the plants are dry I either water them right then and there or add it to my list of things to do. Mostly I do it. There are times though when it's just not possible. Like...I can't water the plants when I'm at the grocery store - hence the list. I take it with my everywhere.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane! It's a great video, isn't it? I like it - so simple, yet I can see how effective it could possibly be. All those lost moments...

I find it simply too easy to do something later, or not at all, and I think this will really help. Once your brain is retrained, it will all be second nature and being able to complete a project or go for a walk or eat that apple will just be second nature. I find I notice something/get up to do one thing, then notice something else and that winds up being my undoing...