Saturday 25 November 2017

End of November!

mortgagemanfro.com

I can't believe the end of November is already here! Honestly, where has this year gone? I wanted to do another small update before I forget what's going on around here.
  • Last Monday I slept in until 9:45!! I haven't done that in decades, but apparently, the second job takes that much out of me (not being 25 anymore...). I obviously needed it and felt absolutely fine the rest of the day, so it was lucky I had it off.
  • I worked again last night and am going in again tonight for a few hours too. I'm not sure I want to do too many of the Friday night shifts, but do want to take advantage of the opportunity of the extra work whilst I have it. Certainly, Christmas will be busy, and I have a lot of time to put in some hours while I'm off from my job.
  • I splurged on a new, proper pair of shoes for work. I bought a second pair of Skechers GoWalk, in black. They're not the cheapest shoes out there but they are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. If I'm on my feet that much I need something light, comfortable and relatively long-lasting, and these shoes are all of that. I felt much better in those last night than I did in my boots! Phew! I decided to buy a good quality pair rather than get something cheap and cheerful at a grocery store or thrift shop. It seemed like the practical thing to do.
  • I'm off to help with the teas at a pantomime this afternoon before another shift at work tonight. My cousin is part of an amateur dramatics group and today is the first performances, a matinee at about 2:00 and an evening show at 7:30. I'm on the matinee shift again on 3 December.
  • I've managed to rack up another several hundred pounds on my credit cards, but part of that is the shoes (£45) and £61.31 is a big bunch of flowers for a friend's 50th birthday today (she's one of my oldest friends and one who lost her mum last year). I didn't get the card off in time but with the magic of the Internet, I can certainly send some flowers on the day. Funnily enough, another long-time friend is also 50 today, and I'm going to send her something a bit later on, as I didn't get a phone number in time to send flowers. I'm thinking a jigsaw puzzle because I seem to remember she likes those.
  • As part of my budgeting plans, I've set up several more sub-accounts within my bank account - car, travel & school - so that I have my goals in front of me and can direct funds towards them. I've put £100 into each of them (from my loan money) as the 'seed' and the hotel paycheques will go towards these. 
  • Thinking about goals for next year and what I'd like to focus on. Health, for sure, and money. Certainly, my colleague is feeling the pinch of the office move, too, in that she's spending nearly £100 per month now on petrol. My rent is £100 more a month than when I was living with my cousin and I'm also spending a bit more on petrol, so it's all adding up. Part of the money focus will be to work on my thoughts around it and work on having a better, more positive relationship with it. I have a couple of books about money manifestation as well, which I'm going to work on. Can't hurt, right? :D

4 comments:

Jane said...

I love my Skechers - wear them almost every day! I would like to get some more, perhaps beige. I don't go too wild with colours on my feet though the shoes I wear for volleyball have some neon orange bits! I'm working hard too (theoretically!) in paying down my mastercard - I know how easy it can be to add on more debt! I have a list, quite short, of things I still want to buy - I'm really enjoying my Yamaha keyboard which was over $700 including the stand. Other things I want are a new pair of hiking boots - I've got it narrowed down to two pairs and can hopefully get a deal. Also my laptop needs a bit or repair - the shift key fell off - that shouldn't be too expensive I hope. Then perhaps snow tires and next year new glasses. That's not too bad of a list. The main reason I use my credit card too much is because of Amazon. It's too flippin' easy to order books plus I spend a fair bit on iTunes for my iPod.

Oh well - I've got my balance down to under $300 - I'll pay a bit in Dec. and the rest in January. I'm fortunate that I only pay property taxes 10 months a year so I use that bonus money to pay down C/C. Well I better go, didn't mean to write a letter!! Off to volleyball I go and then a hike as it is such a beautiful warm sunny day!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane - Yes, bought Skechers because they're so fantastically comfortable. I already have another pair I wear every day, but they're grey and not suitable for the hotel. I now have to get my hotel shoes made anti-slip, and fortunately, there's a cobbler in Ringwood I can take them to. I'll have to remember that on Monday.

I don't really have anything I NEED, per se. My car is fine, although a newer, more fuel-efficient and reliable vehicle wouldn't go amiss. I have probably 300+ books that need reading, so I don't NEED to buy new books. Outside of trying to get to school and put some cash aside for a new(er) car, I might look at 2018 as my 'not buying it' year. But hopefully, you'll be back for a visit and I can add that to my list of 'need to dos'. :D x

Gill - That British Woman said...

You are heading in the right direction, just remember to keep focused.

My Fitbit is the Charge 2 model: https://www.fitbit.com/en-ca/charge2 However any Fitbit will work. This ones gives you credit for walking up hills, which I like and a more detailed journal of my sleep patterns.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Thank you Gill! Much appreciated. I shall see what I can find. I do have a pedometer on my iPod Touch, so technically don't NEED a Fitbit. But it doesn't hurt to look, as I'd like something to monitor my sleep too and that sounds like it works well. xx