Friday 10 April 2015

Income Tax(es)!


Beachy Head, from which Canadians who are 'deemed non-residents' of Canada according to the CRA fling themselves in frustration when trying to file their tax returns.

This is not true, although there are many other poor souls who do jump.

However, this Canadian is finding out all sorts of fun things about being a 'deemed non-resident' (not living in Canada but still having ties by means of a bank account in my case). Not only do I have to claim any income I make in Canada (I cashed out an RRSP last year), but also any income I make OUTSIDE Canada - my world income. In Canadian dollars, no less.

WTF.

I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not raking in considerable dough. This is going to be an interesting month.

3 comments:

The Asian Pear said...

Yep, you have to claim it and you have to pay for it. That being said, it'll be minimal because you're not living here.

Gill - That British Woman said...

the tax man will get you where ever you are!!

Jane said...

Does that mean you are taxed twice on the same income??? Doesn't seem right. Boy the CRA gets you coming AND going!! Hope it's a minor hit.