Friday 1 January 2010

Books 2009

I'm going to post my goals tomorrow, so tonight I'm posting the list of books I read in 2009. They're a bit mystery-heavy, as I keep finding new (to me) authors and getting caught up in murder and death.

See Jane Write - Jane Mlynowski

Year of Living Biblically - A.J. Jacobs

B is for Burglar - Sue Grafton

C is for Corpse - Sue Grafton

Fat Girl - Judth Moore

Travels with Lizbeth - Lars Eighner

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris

Dewey - Vicky Myron

The Next Thing on my List - Jill Smolinski

Wesley the Owl - Stacey O'Brien

Lord High Executioner - Howard Engel

Tears of the Desert - Halima Bashir

Saturday - Ian McEwan

The Shack - William Young

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne

The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz

My Forbidden Face - Latifa

How Not to Die - Dr Jan Garavaglio (Dr G)

Kabul Beauty School - Deborah Rodriguez

With the Kama Sutra Under my Arm - Trisha Bernard

Do Travel Writers Go to Hell? - Thomas Kostamm

Animals as Teachers and Healers - Susan McElroy

How I Paid for College - Marc Acito

The Delegate's Choice - Ian Sansom

Whisper to the Blood - Dana Stabenow

Scratch Beginnings - Adam Shephard

Stacked - Susan Seligmann

Turning Tables - Heather and Rose McGowan

The Risks of Sunbathing Topless - Kate Chynoweth

Skeleton Lake - Mike Doogan

The Geography of Bliss - Eric Weiner

Curse of the Spellmans - Lisa Lutz

I'm a Stranger Here Myself - Bill Bryson

Revenge of the Spellmans - Lisa Lutz

High King's Tomb - Kristen Britain

Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris

Rich Like Them - Ryan D'Agostino

Sloppy Firsts - Megan McCafferty

Second Helpings - Megan McCafferty

Bad Bridesmaids - Siri Agrell

Him, Her, Him Again, The End of Him - Patricia Marx

As Luck Would Have It - Joshua Piven

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - Alexander McCall Smith

Fire and Ice - Dana Stabenow

Nothing Gold Can Stay - Dana Stabenow

Better to Rest - Dana Stabenow

Charmed Thirds - Megan McCafferty

Fourth Comings - Megan McCafferty

The Johns: Sex for Sale and the Men Who Buy It - Victor Malarek

Nobody's Mother - Lynn Van Luven

Bayou of Pigs - Stewart Bell

Bubbles Betrothed - Susan Strohmeyer

One Step Behind - Henning Mankell

The Eye of Jade - Diane Wei Liang

397 Ways to Save Money - Kerry Taylor

Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell

Firewall - Henning Mankell

Labours of Love: Canadians Talk About Adoption - Deborah Brennan

Angel's Advocate - Mary Stanton

An Evening of Long Goodbyes - Paul Murray

Dogs of Riga - Henning Mankell

Sidetracked - Henning Mankell

The Fifth Woman - Henning Mankell

Before the Frost - Henning Mankell

Waiter Rant - Steve Dublanica

206 Bones - Kathy Reichs

TinTin Adventures: Book 2 - Herge

Honestly, Dearest, You're Dead - John Frederickson

Spud - John van Ruit

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

Bookmarked for Death - Lorna Barrett

Evil in Carnations - Kate Collins

Prepared for Rage - Dana Stabenow

Unquiet Spirit - Derek Wilson

Death Takes the Cake - Melinda Wells

Holiday Grind - Cleo Coyle

A Ghost in the Machine - Caroline Graham (the British TV series "Midsomer Murders" is based on this author's books)

Desolate Angel - Chaz McGee

So Sure of Death - Dana Stabenow

Dead Cold - Louise Penny

Clean Cut - Lynda La Plante

Eat My Globe - Simon Majumdar

Casket Case - Fran Rizer

Poppy Done to Death - Charlaine Harris

Shakespeare's Landlord - Charlaine Harris

Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris

Wild Indigo - Sandi Ault

The White Lioness - Henning Mankell

The Devil's Star - Jo Nesbo

The Incident Report - Martha Baillie

Shakespeare's Trollop - Charlaine Harris

Silence of the Grave - Arnaldur Indridason

If I've counted correctly, that's 97 books this year. Phew! I'd say that was quite successful. I wasn't planning on reading so many, but I'm perhaps I'll see if I can make it an even 100 for next year.

Happy New Year everyone!

8 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Wow, that is an awesome list!!!

Do you have any that you really, really liked and would recommend? I saw a few that I'd read too :-) The Spellman Files, Bookmarked for Death, Death Takes the Cake... and I have Holiday Grind ready to start!

100 books is a great goal, good luck!!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

What a list!

I second Canadian Saver's question: What are the top 10 you'd say you enjoyed the most?

I'm into classic literature for the moment. Finished The Portrait of Dorian Gray and LOVED IT. On to Emma.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Oops I wanted to subscribe to comments too so I could hear your recommendations.

Laura said...

Awesome job!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi CS, Hi FB - thanks! I'm not sure why I kept track this year - just interested to see what I read I suppose!

My top ten list is:

Dewey

The Next Thing on my List

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Spellman Series (3 books)

The Geography of Bliss

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built

The Eye of Jade

Stacked

The White Lioness

But my authors du jour are: Henning Mankell, Charlaine Harris & Dana Stabenow. Brilliant! And anything by them is terrific.

I DIDN'T like the uber-hyped 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.' I don't know whether it was because there was too much build up or what, but I was disappointed overall. I felt nothing for any of the characters - even at the point of life & death for one of the main ones. "meh," I said. "Who cares?" Others have loved (LOVED) it. But that's just me.

Canadian Saver said...

Thanks!! I jotted down your recommendations :-)

dinah34 said...

what an awesome list! i would like reviews of 'fat girl' and 'a year of living biblically'. :)

i miss reading so much. before i had a kid i read so much. now, i seem to never have any time.

i think i read about 4 books last year. :P

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Dinah! Yes, with respect to you hard-working moms, it is easier to find time to read if you don't have kids (stands and waves hands).

I would really recommend "Year of Living Biblically," as AJ is very funny and you actually learn a lot of fun, interesting and very bizarre rules of the bible. It also covers the New Testament, which a friend of mine found interesting. She had wanted to read this, so I gave her my copy. She quite liked it and partially because it was very respectful while being a bit cheeky at the same time.

I don't remember much about "Fat Girl" I'm afraid... :(