Thursday 11 September 2008

Semi-Daily Tracking Continued, Sept 10

I'm not particularly consistent with my updates, am I? My Internet was acting up for a couple of days, so I haven't been able to post as this isn't something I should be doing at work. I started an update yesterday, but got distracted before I got much done, so don't remember where I wanted to go with it.

But it's a new day today and it doesn't matter what didn't get done yesterday.

On Sunday I worked at the hotel and spent $1.92 on my tea from Tim's (I admit, it's an addicition - I'm naming them "Tim-ergencies" from now on...). It's a nice routine, but when the temperatures plummet to -40C, I refuse to apologize for a hot drink to get me going in the morning!

For breakfast I would have bought some pancakes (a weakness), but the server offered to share an omelette with me, so I took advantage of that instead. It was a really good omelette. :-)

Over the past couple of days I've worked on my September goals, so despite the fact they're late this is what I've come up with (in no particular order):

1) Finish my 101 Things in 1001 Days list (wow...this is challenging)
2) Save all my change, including my twoonies to roll and put in the bank (I need the loonies for laundry)
3) Read "Smart Women Finish Rich" and do the accompanying exercises
4) Ensure that my overtime and my travel reimbursements are designated to both debt and my savings accounts as equally as possible.
5) Get a copy of my Canada Pension Plan update
6) Ask financial advisor about "pre-tax" investing and whether this is realistic

I got part of my travel reimbursements yesterday and deposited the cheque today. I have one more coming and have another whole week of travel coming up, so can expect more sometime in October (this travel thing is fun!). The upcoming travel also means quite a lot of overtime as well, so this bodes well for my debt repayment and savings accounts.

I'm planning a 10-day trip Outside in mid-October to Victoria to visit my friends. Now that my storage locker has been taken care of, I can spend all my time relaxing and visiting with people, which will be really nice. I want to be independent instead of relying on other people to get me around, so I'm hoping to rent a car for the time I'm there. As it happens, I got a renewal letter for BCAA yesterday as well and it turns out that Hertz rentals offers discounts to BCAA members! So while renting a car isn't cheap, at least I can save some money if I decide to do it. I'm going to do a little research into it and see what the offer looks like before I make a final decision.

The trip, however, will be "free time" for me, as I don't get paid holidays from my job, so I have to be careful how I spend while I'm gone. I just have to stay focused and not go crazy with the shopping opportunities that I just don't have here.

No comments: