Friday 27 September 2019

A few days off :D

metro.co.uk

I have some holidays to use up before the end of the year, so randomly chose this week to take some time off. Because, why not?

We went to Solihull on Monday for our training session which, apart from stupid start times, wasn't too bad overall. I was up at 4:45 and at the public car park at the office by 6:00. The MDs had hired a driver (I say!) which was actually a great idea because no way would I have wanted to tackle that drive either before or after the training session. The session was pretty much what you'd expect for a new programme, the basic walk-through of how it works, what we can do, what it does for us, etc. Five hours' worth...

We actually finished by 3:00 which meant we could get back earlier than we originally anticipated. Phew! The driver was great, actually, an interesting guy (and devoted dad to a 12-yr old girl), so all in all the 2.5 hours (each way) wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I got home not much later than I normally do, fortunately.

I was at the office on Tuesday until noon then had a hospital appointment. I've been going back and forth for about three years for the same procedure (dealing with hypoplasia) and the consultant wanted to make sure that the pathology was 'all clear' before signing me off. I've finally reached the point that he's happy enough to sign me off, but he said if I have any concerns to come back to them ("concerns" being a period, actually, as I've - hopefully, finally - stopped). I'm relieved. It was due diligence, as the risk of cancer was extremely low (5% over 20 years), but it's still one less thing to worry about. Hooray!

So, as I'd taken the afternoon off for that, I decided I might as well take some of my holiday time, too. It's been nice, actually, although I haven't yet really done anything that I planned. I took an extra shift at the shop on Wednesday night, and have Saturday and Sunday to work as well, so that will boost my next paycheque a bit. Apparently one of the lads is leaving, so it means that there are some shifts up for grabs which is good news for me. And Christmas is coming, too, which means plenty up for grabs, hopefully!

I spent yesterday doing a whole lot of nothing for the most part - fussing with my budgets endlessly, scrolling Twitter (I'm not even ON Twitter!), watching various ghost shows on YouTube...that's about it, actually, and somehow the hours melted away.

I planned to do more today and have so far checked 'groceries' off my list. It's now 11:20 a.m. So, yeah, hopefully, more productive than yesterday!

I'm reviewing my 'book' and finding all the things that need to be re-written/replaced, etc., but figure I'd best just 'get the words out' (as Roomie E says) before starting the next draft. I have to have something to re-draft after all! I've previously made some changes that mean the current iteration doesn't make any sense, but the point, I suppose, is that this is all part of the process. One word at a time...

My next holiday is in mid-October when I'm taking a few days to visit my sister in Devon. I'm taking her my bike, the bits & pieces I've bought for her, and I'll have to take my camp bed and bedding, as it's only a one-bedroom bungalow and she sleeps on an air mattress at the moment. I'll need somewhere to sleep, and I can leave the bed behind. She's booking massages in for us (hooray!), and we're going to a yoga class or two. She's going to check into goat yoga, as we're both hoping there will be a class available while I'm there. I'm looking forward to it, although I'm hoping I can borrow a sat nav from somewhere for the trip. I don't know my English geography well enough to just make a stab at it. Ha ha! I flap far too easily if I get stuck driving (because driving in the UK "kinda" sucks...).

Anyway, today I had planned to do some writing (of some kind) so I had best get on with it. The book will not write itself. At least it's raining, so I don't have to feel guilty about being inside. 😃😃

3 comments:

Treaders said...

Good lord, I haven't lived. I had to look up goat yoga!!! But wow, what a hoot! Kinda reminds me of the lambs jumping on their mothers' backs in North Wales. I was interested to see that you only took 2.5 hours to get from Solihull to Dorset - I would have thought it was much longer than that. I went to Solihull College for 4 years as I was born near there (not the posh bit though) so I knew that area quite well (not any longer of course). And I'm glad you're getting the all clear on your health. That must be a relief. Enjoy your time off!

T'Pol said...

Good thing that you took time off. Especially during a season change, I feel like resting more. It always helps to adjust.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Treaders - I know, isn't it fantastic? Ha ha! Well, I think I shaved some time off the trip, actually, not really counting the trip from Christchurch to Ringwood to Southampton (45 mins?) at that time of the morning. So, perhaps I'm off about an hour. Regardless, a long enough trip! Yes, pleased there are no more (foreseeable) general anaesthetics involved! I don't think he was 100% that it was all clear, but he was confident enough about the results to give me the all clear, and I'm fine with that if he is. xx

Hi T'Pol - yes, very glad. It was needed. Just having time away from work, even if you don't necessarily get up to much, is always welcome. Another week off to look forward to in October! xx