Saturday 10 March 2018

Work from home, part-time option!

work.chron.com

The potential for overtime at work has come up again - this time potentially doing it from home on weekends, rather than heading to the office. Nothing has happened around it (yet) and I would need a foot pedal, a headset and a dictation software license (easily downloadable, but costs about £120 for the one we use at work). If work covers the cost of the license, I can borrow the extra foot pedal and headset that we have and I'm all set.

However, I've spent about an hour today poking around online and have discovered the world of home transcription work! I won't say it's lucrative, but it would certainly be a simple way for me to earn some extra money. I can download a type of dictation software and license for less than £20 (until 15 March, £50 after that) and could still borrow the foot pedal and headphones from work if it came down to it. It's not that I'm exceptionally excited to do more of what I do for work on my weekends, but I CAN do it, I'm an excellent typist and several of the companies I'm looking at offer as/when type of options - do what you want, when you want - which is perfect! There can be a huge variety of different reports, so that's the part that I'm uncertain about as I only have experience doing survey reports (and I may have to blag my typing speed a bit, too, as apparently, you need 70+wpm and I do about 60-65).

I'm assuming that purchasing a license for the type of software we use at the office would set me back the same as it would for the office to buy me one but as the price isn't on the website, I really don't know.

I've got a potential move to save for, debt to pay down and have just received an invite to my brother's wedding in South Africa in October (ouch!). I can't do it all at once, but having a steady, second income stream would be ideal. 

My first choice would be to spend time doing this for work because I know the system already and it's time and a half, but if I get myself set up with a decent little system of my own, it opens up a lot more options.

Some thought and chasing up the opportunity at work will be the first order of the day!

Hmmm....

4 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

I agree it is worth looking into and doing it for your current work would be the best option to see how it goes........

Jane said...

That sounds ideal Annie. I think doing more of what you already do at time and a half would be the best way to start off. Oh and South Africa!!! Something amazing to be saving for!!

jj said...

Options, options, options! Once you have more info from your work, you'll be able to decide which works better for you. But it's great you're being proactive and finding the 2nd income in advance of things :) good luck! I may show up here more often, I found you from the Asian Pear blog, and love reading your blog!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Gill - I hope it works out. I had a chat with one of the directors yesterday and of course, some of the problem is whether it's cost-effective, but at least they're thinking about it!

Hi Jane - I know! I'm happy enough to type from home if I can (rather than go to the hotel!) Not sure SA is in the budget - it's not a very long time to save and if I have to move, well...I can't do both, unfortunately!

Hi jj - Yes, am just waiting to hear what's going on with respect to my discussion yesterday with one of the directors. There'll be some discussion, obviously, but hopefully, I'll be set up to work from home (others do). And thank you, although I miss Pear... :(