Sunday 25 March 2018

On the move again...but not JUST yet!


Well, a move will happen, we're just not sure when. The house is for sale and there have been three viewings this weekend. T had been on holiday for a week or so and made the decision while she was gone that she wants to see it through this time.

Roomie E hadn't been wholly on-board because T doesn't make up her mind quickly and since she arrived here from Spain (saying she's put the house on the market), she's not been focussed on it 100%, and just hasn't been able to make up her mind what she wants to do. That's left us a bit uncertain but now that the decision has been made FOR SURE, we can make plans to get ourselves organised for a move.

I've been looking for awhile now (I'm always looking) and last week viewed a very compact, cosy one-bedroom flat about 30 seconds walk from work! I absolutely loved it and would have signed the paperwork there and then if she'd had any. However, sense prevailed and I've since crunched numbers and decided that although I CAN actually afford it, it would be too tight to be comfortable and would empty my savings accounts for the deposit and fees, leaving me very vulnerable if anything happened. A further chat with Roomie E has confirmed that she's now on board with a move and is happy to continue sharing with me.

There's also the possibility of 'dragging' Roomie P with us as well, as apparently he was a bit hurt that we hadn't included him in our discussions about moving. We didn't include him because we were under the impression that he was going to go north, to be near his parents, but that's apparently not the case. But he didn't say anything to us, so how are we supposed to know?! Honestly...

I'm going to see a three-bedroom flat tomorrow near work, but I'm not sure it'll be suitable as Roomie E has said her preference is closer to her work because she sometimes is back and forth several times during the day and Ringwood is a bit too far for that. I can appreciate that, although I'd like to be closer to my work too. Regardless, someone will have to drive a distance.

There are precisely two options in Bransgore for rent. One is a 4-bed house that's too pricey and the other is a 3-bed bungalow just outside the village proper, in a small hamlet less than a 5-minute drive - and walkable, as there's a path leading directly to the village. The house is a bit dated (like, 1960s!) but is in good shape and is in the area we want it (this will all be dumped on Roomie P when he gets home tomorrow - he doesn't know we've planned all this yet) and is more or less the same price as we're currently paying. We'll need to set up our utilities, etc. but that's straightforward enough. So I made arrangements for Roomie E to go and view it on Tuesday. She liked what she saw online - plus the fact it has two bathrooms! - and is keen to see it properly and get a true feel for it. I kind of hope she likes it enough that we can just make a decision and have it done. If Roomie P decides he doesn't want to come with us, then it'll just be the two of us and we can adjust our searching accordingly.

One of the couples who viewed today was very keen and made no secret about the fact they want the house. T couldn't get rid of them, as they wanted to tell her everything they were going to do with/to it. Haha! I'd be very surprised if they didn't make an offer.

I spent the time washing my car - hardly a professional job, but it looks SOOOO much better. The fat wood pigeons have been using it as a toilet and it was quite embarrassing if I'm honest. It's been well over a year since I've had it washed. I'm sure with both more motivation and elbow grease, I'd have managed a much more thorough job, but I'm pleased regardless, as I got the worst of the dirt, grime, oil, moss, and bird poop off of it.

Edinburgh the week after next - at least, that's the plan! The Met Office is predicting yet more snow over Easter, so I'm going to have to watch my flights quite carefully, as I fly out of Southampton on Easter Monday. If it's anything like it's been the last two times, there's a good chance of cancellation/delays, particularly as it's supposed to hit the East and North again. There's a chance that I'll have to cancel or at least postpone, but it's all wait and see at this point. A bit frustrating, but what can you do?

Otherwise, I'm still picking away at my decluttering (took a few items to the thrift store yesterday but brought home 4 - two books, and two pairs of summery trousers), and getting my room sorted out. I'm still keen to do it because even though we aren't moving right away, we will eventually and I know my room won't be as big so keeping things to a minimum is still important.

4 comments:

T'Pol said...

Bummer! Having to move again? I hope you will stay put for as long as you wish next time. All these moves mean additional costs.

jj said...

Good luck on the moving and de-cluttering! hopefully everything goes as smoothly as possible, but someone may have to sacrifice on their work commute it sounds like.

Have a fun and safe trip -I think the snow is finished for Toronto, but the spring weather won't be warm for a few weeks :'(

Jane said...

Oh I hope your flight isn't cancelled!! What weather the UK has been having over the past few weeks - quite unusual. Sorry you have to move again so soon - you had a nice setup there but I'm sure you'll find something - you're on top of things already. Good luck hunting (sounds like the title of a movie!)!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi T'Pol - Yes, it's a bit frustrating and I'm more stressed about it than I thought I would be - waiting for others is the problem, I suppose. I do have some funds I can use, but a limited amount, but if it's the right place I'll be fine. xx

Hi jj - Thank you! It's going to be me doing the longest commute. I've come to terms with that, but am hopeful I've found a potential flat that will work for us. On the water and only 5 mins from my friend's work - adding 10 minutes or so to my commute, so not awful. But, yes, am looking forward to Edinburgh in between! xx

Hi Jane - all looks to be well, although it's going to be WET (!!). Better than a cancellation, however. I'm already tired of looking, ha ha! It's having to wait for others to make up their minds that's frustrating me - Roomie P was happy to be included but now has changed his mind again...but may change it back. I just want to find a place and be done with it. Anyway, Edinburgh will take my mind off things! :D xx