Friday 5 January 2018

What a way to start the year!

stilletosontheglassceiling.com

I went home sick on 21 December (half-day) fighting a fever, sniffles, stuffy head - all that fun stuff - and got much worse over the next couple of days. I seemed to turn a corner and felt more or less human again by 25 December, so I decided to go to work (the hotel). Probably a mistake. I'm not a night owl as a rule anyway, so working every night, then having an evening out with friends, a 50th birthday disco for my cousin, and then working until 2a.m. New Year's Eve probably wasn't the best decision for me. I felt entirely unrested and wound up sick again! :(

I've been off work since Wednesday afternoon now, but DO feel slightly better - I had breakfast this morning! It's just a persistent low-grade fever, a bit of aching (mostly from the coughing), and stuffy head. I'm hoping lots of rest, hot drinks and sleep will manage to wipe the last vestiges from me. I have a friend who's been fighting what sounds like the same thing for over three weeks now, and I know there's something nasty out there. I'm seeing it on FB and hearing others' experiences. I hate being sick. I am relatively healthy, generally, though, so I'm hopeful I'll be over the worst of it very soon.

Just SO frustrating!

Roomie E made me a beautiful bone broth yesterday evening which perked me right up. It was just what I needed! So kind of her to take care of (pander to) me like that.

On Wednesday morning, we had a 'mandatory' work meeting which also included photos for the website. All I said to the photographer was, 'If you can make me look alive, I'll be happy.' I am NOT looking forward to seeing the result online.... :P The meeting was just an overview of what we'd done the past year, what the plans were this year, the re-org of the admin staff, and just everyone meeting everyone else (some of the surveyors work from home, so we only see them very rarely). Some good plans, although it will mean more work for me - admin has been re-organised to play on strengths

My No-Sugar Programme officially starts on Sunday. The first emails and menu plans arrived yesterday, so today I have to organise a grocery delivery to get myself started. I'm quite excited, as I was feeling really sluggish and tired over the holiday (not only because I was sick). I'm debating about a Waitrose delivery (the high-end grocery store) but only because I have a £25 gift card to use there...

Outside of this, I'm not sure I want to make goals or resolutions this year, but just try to do better in everything: more consciousness about spending / saving / eating / health / exercise / reading / writing / etc.

I'm excited to spend another year with you all! xx

2 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

I hope this clears up for you soon, no fun at all being sick........

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Gill! No, it sure isn't. Fortunately, today I'm feeling more human and took myself out to the high street - granted, it's only a block away - but feel better now that I've been out 'in public' for the first time since Wednesday! Whatever this is, is very persistent. I hope you're all well there in wintry Ontario. Stay warm xx