Sunday 14 January 2018

Update - week one, No Sugar & other bits



busy-at-home.com

Seeing as I've attempted this programme several times before, I should be an old hat at this. It's going better this time, partly, I think, because I've been sick and feeling pretty rubbish anyway, but also because I understand the process much better. I've made it more or less unscathed through Week One. A few off-plan meals, but only one that would have had any kind of sugar (fructose) in it. So, overall, I'm very pleased. The meals have been delicious as always (apart from a rather disappointing cauliflower curry last night) and I'm already feeling better. I haven't had great cravings for snacks and sugary things, so that's a positive. This time, however, I'd like to carry on the sugar-free focus once the programme is over. I think if I can make it 80% very healthy and allow myself the occasional treat, then I will be exceptionally pleased with that.

It was my first week back at work, too, and it went well enough. It was relatively busy for January and I've already booked some holidays, too! I'm off to Edinburgh in April for a few days, and have booked a long weekend in Nottingham in June with friends for a ghost hunt in Sherwood Forest!!

hauntedeventsuk.com

That's actually the company we're going with, too. It's the last ghost hunt at the old visitor's centre (which means, I assume, they've built a new one) and runs from 8pm - 2am! My friend sent me a link of the company running one of the hunts, so I have to search it out and watch it. Apparently, his wife is already freaked out after watching it! Hmm...

I'm FINALLY over the cold/flu/thing that's been plaguing me for three weeks. Today my head is entirely clear, and I've been sleeping like a log for most of the week which has helped immensely, as has all the good food I've been eating. So glad to finally be rid of it - what a gigantic pain it was! I've never been sick for so long, but there's definitely some nasty things going around and I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

My sister was here for several days, too, which was nice. I haven't seen her since October and we spent our time playing silly video games for the most part. She made a lovely vegetarian soup (no sugar!) which was a delicious Friday evening meal. Saturday morning I had a surge of energy and cleared out a bunch of stuff from my wardrobe and bookshelves. We headed to Ringwood to pick up a few things and dropped off my old TV, plus two bags of clothes and other bits at a charity shop. I wanted to donate the (large bag of) books at the library but they're apparently not accepting them! So they're currently in the trunk of the car until I can get to another location (a bigger branch perhaps) where I can leave them. I've never had an issue donating books before! It seems a bit odd but never mind.

It felt really good to get rid of that stuff. My sister is good at decluttering - it was on my 'to do' list, but sometimes it helps to have someone else prod you to just get it done. I'm confident there is plenty more to do, but it was a great start. 

I moved my room around a couple of weeks ago and am much, much happier with it. I've got more space in it now and a little 'lounge', separated by my bookcase which has my plants on it. It's a cosier spot and I can relax much easier in it.

At the moment I've got some cooking/baking happening for this week's meals: a beef ragu and a lovely veggie loaf. I went to the butcher in Ringwood and got some 'proper' beef for stewing, and picked up a beautiful sourdough loaf at the bakery next door. It was a bit late in the day for their usually large selection of bread, so I ended up with a large white loaf instead of the small, brown seeded sourdough I love, but I'm not fussed. Half of it went straight in the freezer for later in the programme. I'm learning! :D

I start my volunteering gig at the village coffee shop on the 27th and am looking forward to that. I had also wanted to look into volunteering at the food bank but it's only open three days a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday - so, unfortunately, is off my options now. I know there are some animal charities around, too, so I'll shift my focus to one of those instead I think, once I've settled into a bit of a routine at the coffee shop. There is also a big parish quiz on the evening of the 27th - this is one I've attended twice before - near my cousin's house, so I'll be going up there for that which is always fun.

I am anticipating a review at work in the next week or two and looking forward to hearing how I've been doing. My job isn't changing much (except I'm taking on more typing - damn my excellent typing!) but we're hiring more surveyors so there will be more work. I have already said I'm happy to do some overtime if needed - I'd rather do that than polish glasses! - and they are looking at sending some typing out to a different timezone (I imagine Australia way) to have it typed and ready the next morning if it's needed. That sounds like a fun way to get it done! Our part-time typist isn't always available so having the option of out-sourcing it sounds like a good one.

Otherwise, that's about it. I'm happy to be feeling clear-headed and more energetic. Being sick really does bring you down - I hate it.

Hope you've all managed to avoid it for the most part!

3 comments:

Jane said...

So far so good here. There has been a lot of flu in London but I've managed to steer clear. Your illness really lasted a long time - hopefully you were able to read your way through a bunch of books - well, I guess you did since you have a bag of books to donate :) Your upcoming travel plans sound fun (and spooky). I wish I could just zip over the pond for a long weekend. I was just thinking yesterday it's time to start pricing flights. I'm still a little unsure of how much travel to book considering the cost of my new-to-me car and paying back my savings. I'm really focussing on being extra-frugal and trying to save as much as I can. Good luck with your sugar-free program - I really need to cut back on cookies and candy!!! Truly - I really overindulged over Christmas and am still working through gifts of Turtles and chocolates!

T'Pol said...

Wow! Lots to do for you in the upcoming days. Glad you have recovered by now.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane! Glad you're flu free so far! Mine could have been a lot worse, but I got a lot better faster staying at home. The books I donated were actually ones I've been dragging around with me for YEARS and haven't read, so I bit the bullet and just took them off my shelf. It does feel good, I have to say. Let me know your plans this year - I've got lots of time available and would love to see you if you're going to be here (Cotswolds??), even for a couple of days. I'm enjoying the programme so far! But Turtles...oh my... x

Hi T'Pol! Yes, all quite exciting. And thank you - I'm glad I've recovered too! x