Monday 22 January 2018

February reading plans

bellalifebooks.com
 
I'm making reading plans for February. I read a LOT. It's really my only hobby and one that I've loved since I was a kid.
 
This month has been a bit of a catch-up month of my NetGalley reviews (I'm very behind), but part of my thought process this year is that because I've been feeling 'blah' since before Christmas, I'm letting January pass by as it will: I'm feeling better now that I'm eating better (and much less sugar), I start my volunteering at the coffee shop at the end of this week, I've been recovering from the flu or whatever, my sister was visiting, etc. It's been - despite being sick - really nice to just rest, really.
 
My favourite genre is cosy mysteries. There are, like any genre, some terrific ones out there and I definitely have my favourite authors - and have recently added a couple more! There are also some real stinkers, which is always disappointing but all part of being a reader (and obviously it's a personal opinion as well). I've been lucky in that most of the books I've read through NetGalley have been terrific, in my unprofessional opinion, but there have been several I've definitely really struggled to finish. I'm about a third of the way through one that I started way back in November. I'm struggling with it, but would like to finish it. Now that my head is clearer, I think it will make a difference in how I engage with it.
 
So as January rolls to an end, I considered what to do in February. I have lots of non-fiction books on my trusty iPad/Kindle app, about half a dozen or so dealing specifically with money. After a bit of a think, I decided that February is money month ('February Funds' or something). I want to do some reading, thinking, considering, clearing and focussing on my money: how I get it, how much I get, how to get an honest understanding of investing it, saving it, and how to get a true grip on this debt that is perpetually dogging me. The real issue ISN'T money, I know that much, but it's certainly a symptom of (a lack of) something else, and I'm keen to find out what comes up.
 
There will be writing involved, as well as lots of reading, pondering and considering, so I'm going to have a look at my books on hand and see which one feels best to start with. If anyone's interested, I'll likely be keeping track and maybe posting a bit about it. It feels right to be doing this while I'm doing the no-sugar programme, while I'm already doing some digging and 'cleaning out'.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I'm always interested in "money" topics. I've just come through a really spendy month so will be looking forward to saving more from now on. I'm procrastinating with regard to doing my taxes but I should get on it so I don't have any bad surprises like I had last year - owed money for the first time in my life!! Ugh!