Monday 25 September 2017

I'm in!

www.dianegottsmann.com

Well, I'm all moved in at last. I spent Saturday moving the bits & pieces I needed down to the living room, packing up the last of my items in my wardrobe, and taking apart my desk. I felt very productive but a bit strange dismantling all the pieces that have been my life for four years. The room was almost empty when I finished, just the bed, wardrobe and side table still remaining.


All a bit sad and forlorn. Not even the cat!

I had booked a man with a van for Sunday morning and he showed up at 10:00 to get everything awkward to my new place (bed, bike, large plants, dresser, etc.) and who managed to get lost on the way there - he put the wrong post code in and wound up about 3 miles from where he should have been! Whoops. Anyway, he finally made it and unloaded everything into the new space, and my cousin and I set to unpacking and setting up.

This is currently what it looks like:


The bedroom side, which I'm quite happy with (for now).


The sitting area, which is still quite disorganised. I'm working on this today (ostensibly at least) and hope to have it looking a bit less like a small bomb went off in it. I need to get rid of stuff, so am pleased that there is a thrift shop in the village that I can take things to.

This is my outside space (on a cool, misty day):


Private patio with picnic table. I'm responsible for maintenance of this portion of garden.


French doors from my room (little roses are from my cousin, boots are chicken poopy). Hoping spring will see some pots and plants of various colours and variety to brighten it up.


The girls! I've named them Claudette (white) and Brunhilde (brown) for no discernable reason other than they seem like chicken-y names. Eggs every day (more than even I can eat, really) so can take them and give them away to my cousin, etc.

I have a few pictures to hang, bits and pieces to go through and keep/toss/donate, but so far it's all fitting in - although that's not necessarily a GOOD thing. ;)

The first thing I did, before I started unpacking, was to remove the Glade plug in thing from the wall. The owner had it there because of her dogs, but I hate them so got rid of it quickly. The ones in the hallway and kitchen were removed today, too, as I was chatting with my roommate this morning and she said she didn't like them either, so out they came. They're in the junk drawer in the kitchen if anyone is so inclined to replace them.

The radiators come on quite early and stay on all night (!) and I can't seem to turn mine off. Not for lack of trying, as I've certainly already spent a good amount of time playing with the valve and although it shows as '0', it's still pumping the heat out. I've got my windows and french door open to keep it cool enough in here to sleep. A terrible waste of energy.

Otherwise, I've met George the cat who seems very friendly, have sorted out the chickens (8 eggs today, which means they've not been collected for several days), and had a quick lesson in all things appliance - washing machine, oven, shower, etc. A cleaning rota has been left by the owner and I said I would do the bathroom today. It makes sense while I have a whole day ahead of me.

I've been changing addresses as I remember: driver's licence, bank, credit cards, library...I don't have much so it shouldn't be so hard to keep track of everything.

I'd best get on with my tidying and sorting so that I'm not looking at all this stuff six months from now. It's a slow process, I realise, but getting a head start on it isn't a bad thing.

Once I have things sorted more to my liking, and much tidier, I'll post another photo. In the meantime, I'll spend some time settling in a little. :D

5 comments:

MW said...

Love your new space -- Outside and in! Well organized with the others and all the eggs you can eat...

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi MW! Thanks, it's very comfortable and I'm really lucky. Nothing bad to say about the roomies, either, actually. We're all pretty quiet and independent, and it seems I'll fit in well. The chickens are really fun, too. :) xx

Jane said...

Do you also feed the chickens? We always had chickens when I was a kid so my mother had about 100 different ways to cook eggs :) Let me know if you need any new ideas. I hope you can get the radiator sorted - it would be better if you had some control over it. It's nicer to sleep when the room is cool and you can snuggle down into your comforter. How wonderful to have an "outdoor room"! I spent most of my time when home on my patio. Really expands the living space. You'll be able to use yours for a much bigger part of the year than me. Before too long mine will be full of snow!
Re next years trips. All is up in the air at the moment - lots of ideas but no definite plans. No dates have been set. I have to do some major saving as I decided I didn't want to live without a car after all and have bought a used Honda Civic. Will pick it up this Wed. So I paid for it with savings as I don't want to have any debt or pay any interest. And now I want to build up my savings again.
One of my ideas was to explore the Cotswolds some more - when I went there before I purchased a book called 50 Walks in the Cotswolds. I thought renting a wee cottage for a week or two and exploring the area might be fun and then on a rainy day we have shelter. Just thinking out loud...

T'Pol said...

What a nice place! You have your own garden too! I think this is pretty awesome. Having access to super fresh eggs are great too. I am sure you will love it there. Just get that radiator fixed so that you can be comfortable at night.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi T'Pol! Thank you. Yes, the outside space adds so much to it. Even on winter days, as long as it's dry out, I can sit outside for some sunshine and fresh air. Working on the radiator! xx