Monday 12 March 2012

Sunday night chit chat


Play along through Carla's website every Sunday!


Reading?  “Sketch Me if You Can” a mystery featuring a ghost US Marshal from the 19th century and a modern day former police sketch artist-turned PI. The characters are great and I enjoy the writing. I have a several books lined up and waiting, and another one on hold for me at the library, but I have to prioritize or I’ll never get them read.

Watching?  Nothing special. I’ve discovered a few shows on BBC Canada that I enjoy, plus the usual stuff on HGTV/DIY networks.

Listening to?  I started a meditation challenge on my walks to work this week. They’re supposed to be listened to consecutively over a three week period, but if I only listen to them every other day, it’s going to take me a lot longer than that! I enjoy them though. At lunch I’ll generally play Angry Birds on my iPod.

Cooking/Baking?  I’m cooking up some sausages tonight for dinner and will have them with leftover rice, with plenty for lunch tomorrow. I made dark chocolate cupcakes on Friday night which actually turned out quite well.

Happy you accomplished this week?  Started school supply shopping and costing out textbooks online; having dinner with friends; walking to work several times; savings towards school and a trip next year.

Looking forward to next week?  Focussing on clarifying some ways to earn/save/get funds to see myself through school.

Thankful for today? I met a young friend for a nice brunch, where we spent 2.5 hours getting caught up on things and I helped her with some questions with respect to home buying and credit (she’s German and has just got her Permanent Residency and a great new job). Lots of stuff she didn’t know, although I ultimately told her to speak with her bank for proper financing info, as well as work with a realtor to see houses, ask lots of questions and start saving for that 20% down. Getting rid of 1.5 bags of books at the second hand store and returning with three “new” ones. Have one more bag to unload as they only take one bag per person at a time, but because my second bag counted more as a half, that’s why she took it.

Had a call from my brother in the UK. He was concerned that I might be taking on overwhelming debt to go back to school, but when I gave him the details of what I was doing with respect to finding the means to do it, he stopped panicking. He and his partner are off to Sri Lanka for 10 days over Easter and it sounds like a marvelous trip they have planned: beaches, snorkeling and scuba diving, a national park overnight to see leopards, train trips, highlands…I’m very much looking forward to seeing them in July, when I go to Ontario.

3 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I love the Sunday night chit chat...going to have to get myself organised and on board.
Jane x

~Carla~ said...

Beautiful photos! :) Sounds like the wheels are turning with your school prep! What are you taking?

Northern Living Allowance said...

@Jane - I don't manage to do it every week, but it's fun, isn't it?

@Carla - Office Administration. It's a 10-month course - no guarantees of anything once it's over, but I have a greater chance to find a job that I want. I can't really afford it, but I can't afford NOT to do it more.