Monday 28 December 2009

A pretty productive few days

I'm coming to the end of my Christmas break. I go back to work tomorrow after a lovely 4-day "weekend." I've been surprisingly productive, which I'm pleased about and have to decide what I'm going to do today.

Friday I did some baking and then went for dinner with my friend and three of her kids. It was delicious, but teenagers are pretty excitable. Her place is always noisy - the TV is always going, the boys are wrestling or fighting or arguing and whatever else boys do to bond with each other. I've heard that once you become a parent, "kid noise" just becomes something you can't hear anymore. But they're great kids, so I don't mind visiting now and again, although it WAS nice to get home to peace and quiet. :)

Saturday I decided to get things done that I've not done in months: clean my oven (always fun), the bathroom and then start tidying the place up. There's paper and assorted other crap everywhere. I've learned that EasyOff oven cleaner works best when the oven has been warmed first - it's really fast. I don't like to use the nasty stuff, but sometimes you need the toxic, chemically-charged power of such things to get the really old crap cleaned up properly. My oven looks fabulous now. And I have a large bag of books to take to the library for donation tomorrow, too.

Yesterday I vacuumed, did a laundry, tidied up a little bit more and today...well, I'm not entirely sure. I think I'll drive over to the recycling centre and (finally!) get rid of my stuff, although that can eat up more time than I plan for sometimes as I get distracted by people putting stuff where it's not supposed to go and following them around, removing the offending objects from the wrong bin and putting them in the proper one. Those I can reach anyway...Ahem...

I also finished my Jo Nebo book and two others this weekend, watched all my episodes of "Midsomer Murder," and am counting down the days until D gets back to town. He's due back Jan 5; 7 more sleeps. He called Christmas Day and is regretting staying; he's a real homebody and doesn't like the isolation of the mine, I think. I'm going to try and talk him out of leaving the mine so soon, but I'll get a newspaper for him as well, so he can keep his eyes open for job possibilities back in town.

CanadianSaver posts her list of "books read" a couple of times a year, and I'm going to do that as well, if anyone's interested. But I have to get my recycling done now that it's stuck in my head.

3 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

You have been incredibly productive yeah!!! The oven cleaning is the worst!!

I'd love to read your list of books read in 2009 :-) I've been such a slacker in December, I've really not picked up a book. I have to set a reading goal for 2010 though!

I bet you'll be really glad to see D!! Spending Christmas apart must have been hard :-(

The Asian Pear said...

Wow. You HAVE been productive. I've been rather lazy. After cooking up a storm on Friday, I slacked off Saturday - Sunday.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi CS - I think I'll post my list on December 31, in case I'm still reading something. I can't believe how quickly I've been going through books these days...

I did actually miss D over the holidays - more than I thought I might, to be honest. But only 7 more sleeps... :)

Hi Pear - I decided I wanted to accomplish something this weekend, hence the busy-ness. There were quite a few slacker moments in there, though... :)