Sunday 5 January 2020

First run!

lanarkmarathon.com

Obviously, that's totally (not) me. But a girl can dream. Realistically, my best physical days are behind me - if I ever really had any - but I can work with where I am and do my best.

Yesterday I received the last part of my running 'puzzle' - fresh, new running socks. All quite timely, really, seeing as I'd stated I'd be starting today. Good timing, no?

No excuses.

I went for my first run this morning and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Mostly because it wasn't raining or very, very dark. However, although I don't have a suitable waterproof jacket, there are streetlights around here and the area is comfortable and safe, so running in the dark mornings (for now) shouldn't be an issue. It's just the getting out of bed part...I will have to be out and back by 6:45 most days in order to get ready for work afterwards. I've found in the past that I prefer running in the mornings, so I'll continue that routine for now.

Anyway, it did feel good to be out there again and I was paying attention to how I was feeling. It's a cool but dry morning -  a very, very light drizzle on my way back, but nothing to deter me, perfect for running actually.

So far (and knowing that the first couple of weeks are much more walking than running), apart from being stiff from lack of any form of exercise for far too long, I feel okay. My breathing wasn't too bad and once I stop thinking about how my feet should land, where my hands should be, how I stop my nose running, etc., and get my rhythm, I'll be fine.

It was my dad's birthday yesterday. He would have been 89 and will have been gone 39 years in February. He was a runner, started later in life (40's I think), and I'm not sure why I feel I need to run this year, but as I said yesterday, it just feels important. So I will.

My first Mindful Chef box gets delivered this morning! I tried this last year at this time, but only made it a couple of weeks (it's a bit pricey, although absolutely fantastic ethics and recipes). I got a huge incentive to try it again, so I re-signed up for January. This should cover the majority of my lunches and dinners for the month, although I'll have to organise breakfasts and weekends. I get a 10% discount from the shop and often come home with wasted items ('expiring today' kind of stuff) for free, so that helps a bit.

One of our regular customers (a serious alcoholic) bought me a gift box of 4 huge chocolate bars yesterday (post-holiday price of £2). Awkward. This fellow keeps saying that when/if he wins the lottery, he'll take me to dinner. I mentioned to a colleague that if he was serious, why wait for the win? Joking aside, it's a bit uncomfortable, but it's the only thing that I don't enjoy about the shop. I left the box (seriously, it's HUGE) at the shop because I honestly can't eat that much chocolate (I'd be sick), and I'm not happy taking it home. My colleagues are more than welcome to it.

Some of the joys of being a woman, eh ladies? 😬

Otherwise, have a shift at the shop this afternoon and back at the office tomorrow. I'm trying to decide how I feel about that. I guess I'm glad to be back in a routine? Regardless, I'll be there. Have a good first week of January, and let's try not to let the current world chaos and politics beat us down too early.

12 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

well done on your first run of the year......keep it up!!!

Oh and avoid that guy....LOL

JP said...

With running, be sure to leave time for your body to recover. Do not run every day! Shoot for 3 days a week. I, personally, do M/W/F or T/Th/S. Especially as I get older, this really helps ward off injury. It also really (really!) helps to have someone go with you (even a dog). Just knowing someone is lugging themselves out of bed to meet you is usually enough to get myself out of bed. Good luck with your running! It really helps with a lot of aspects of life.

Anonymous said...

Hey ... off topic but ... have you heard from Jane H. lately? (Life Begins at Retirement). I remember you've travelled with her before, but she's gone silent on her blog. Am just hoping everything is okay with her and her daughter.

Treaders said...

Well done for getting up early and getting out there. I've never been a morning person and that would be my idea of hell! Anna

Northern Living Allowance said...

HI Gill - thank you! I even managed a second one - hooray! And I'd like to but he's a customer, so I can't really avoid him unless I happen to be doing something else at the time, which I'll have to try to do. xx

Hi JP - many thanks for the advice! I'm aiming for 3-4 days (essentially every other day) and planning to walk on my off running days. I may have to postpone the running shortly depending on how much rain we get in the next few days - it's forecast to be quite miserable and I have no wet weather gear. I'm looking into a local running group, but that may be a few weeks away yet. Thanks for the support, too, I'm hoping it'll help with my mental sluggishness as much as my physical. xx

Hi Anon - I had a Christmas card from Jane actually. She's taken a step back from blogging for the time being is all I will say, but is okay otherwise. xx

Hi Treaders - thank you! I actually went out after work on Tuesday just to give it a try and didn't dislike it, so that's promising. I think as long as I go, that's the main thing and if for some reason I can't go in the a.m., I'll go in the p.m. instead. There's more cars, for one thing, and streetlights so I felt safe enough. It's all just entirely weather dependent at the moment! :P xx

JiCaLu said...

I haven't commented in a bit but I am always reading. I hope the remainder of January and this first half February have been productive running and life wise!

T'Pol said...

Hi NLA, Hope all is well with you. Missing your posts.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi JiCaLu - always great to hear from you! Have definitely slowed down, but plans still afoot for running and life :) xx

Hi T'Pol - thank you. Yes, more or less well - just feeling somewhat unmotivated is all. Hoping to post something this weekend if possible xx

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

I am hoping you are heathy & well. I've been thinking about you! xo

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi FT! Thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding, been a 'bit' unmotivated to post lately. Hoping you are all well and healthy there! xx

T'Pol said...

Hope all is well with you NLA. Missing your pots and want to know how you are doing.

MW said...

Hi NLA!

It's been quite the year, hasn't it?

Thinking of you and want to wish you a Joyful New Year! Here's to a Brighter 2021!

MW