Saturday 14 September 2019

Time does fly

lebanoninapicture.com

It's been a bit of a week or two...

One of my colleagues has been away since the beginning of the month, more or less, and we've gone 'live' with a new appointment booking system. It's the same system as the old one, just web-based rather than in a virtual server within our server. So adjusting to that and being one person down has been a bit stressful, although by yesterday we were definitely feeling better about it all. It's just a matter of using it and getting familiar with all the changes. It's actually a better layout and once you get to know where you need to go to find things, it's a bit easier as well.

I did, however, begin and end the day by sending snippy emails to a surveyor. The second email was snippier because I had to placate a client who phoned to chase a report that should have been sent that morning and wasn't even typed yet. I believe there could be the potential to lose a house because of this. I sent an email stating that I was very angry about having to apologise and make excuses for her, copying in both the office manager and the managing director. The office manager was aware and spoke to our director (her son) about it. I am not hopeful that the reports we need will be waiting for us on Monday, but will have to deal with that on Monday.

I lost no sleep last night over my email, however. I am a very even-tempered woman for the most part and it takes a lot to wind me up to even get to 'snippy', but I refuse to take the hit for someone who is supposed to be a professional and has said she can do work that she obviously can't. I'm not paid enough to do that. On top of that, this is the sort of thing that can damage the company and its reputation.

So. I'm glad the week is over. Although I did make a bit of overtime, so there's that! :D

I bought a few practical bits & pieces for my sister and her new place - a set of mugs, some tea towels, a can opener and a little rubbish bin for the bathroom. They were all on sale, and I'll take them with me when I go to visit in October. I just have to confirm dates there.

My car did not, in fact, pass its MOT. It needed a rear registration light and a new coil spring on the front passenger side (it helps to keep the car at a proper height above the road)! I was shocked and disappointed until I remembered that I had hammered through a pothole in the spring. When I asked about it, the mechanic said that would definitely have done it. You look for immediate damage to tire or wheel, but don't think about anything that's not visible. The force of going through the pothole obviously snapped it, which accounts for the creaking that followed for the next few months. It's all fixed (£226) but the rear brakes need replacing desperately, which I've got booked at the end of the month (another £350. Yeesh). Cars. 😩😐

Otherwise, she's in good shape for a 12-year old car, so that's good. This is also why I want to be within walking distance to work - bills like this.

I THINK I have thought of a way to 'downsize' my debt but I have a few numbers to crunch and a couple of phone calls to make before I make any drastic decisions. The ultimate decision would increase my Canadian debt (but at a much lower interest rate, 11%) and I'd be able to clear the zero interest CC here, plus part of the second and move the remainder of the second (29.9%) to the zero-interest card. It would save a lot of interest, but I just want to see what the minimum payment will be. I got an offer in the post about a balance transfer and it seems like it could be a good decision in the long run. Particularly if it saves me so much in interest payments. I have to make a decision by the end of September, and any transfer has zero interest until March 2021. A decent offer by all accounts. I think I need to make a decision by the end of this weekend, as it can take a few days for the balance transfer to happen.

I got 'trapped' at the shop last Saturday night. You know how I've said that there isn't a senior keyholder on Saturdays? The fellow who was supposed to come back didn't, and I had to call the manager. I think I woke her up, but as a manager, this is the sort of fire you are paid to fight, right? She was understandably annoyed, partly because she lives too far away to come herself, and so was the fellow she managed to find to come back and close. As was I having to resort to that. I got half an hour's extra pay though. No way was I signing out until everything had been taken care of. What a pain! No idea what's going on tonight. I don't expect anything to have changed, though.

Ah well, the weather is lovely this weekend and I plan to enjoy my time off. :D

6 comments:

Treaders said...

Well done you on putting that surveyor on the spot. I HATE lazy/incompetent people and I don't believe in carrying the can for them because if I said I would do something I always would! I'm very laid back too but that stuff did get my goat. And regarding the Canadian debt, would the exchange rates CAD/GB£ be a factor or not? It's not always easy working with different currencies, although with the euro just doing a bit of a nosedive (or maybe, rather, the Swiss franc went up) I changed quite a few francs into euros recently to take advantage of it so it can work in your favour can't it!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Treaders - thank you! I was feeling very 'RAWR!' having done it, then had second thoughts once I got home ('who am I to wag my naughty finger at a surveyor?'), but I was so annoyed to be in that position. I told her I was very angry at being made to make apologies and excuses for her. That's not my responsibility. I'm not one to 'stake my claim' generally, so hopefully, this is a learning experience for me as well!

The exchange rate had dropped somewhat from the last time I checked, but I went ahead and did it anyway, actually... xx

JiCaLu said...

Some of my brother's favourite emails at work are the snippy ones - in which he subtly refers to OTHER emails that prove a person is not doing their job (after they try and blame him) - good on you for speaking up.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi JiCaLu! Thank you! I was quite proud of myself. A small 'RAWR' moment that I can hopefully continue as and when required. :D You'll be pleased to hear the report was ready, although I had to discover that for myself... xx I hope you've been well??

JiCaLu said...

I have been good! I always pop in but don't always comment - I should work on that!

Northern Living Allowance said...

I'm glad to hear that! It has just been awhile. xx