Sunday 28 July 2019

New job!

ndcn.co.uk

Well, a new part-time one, at least! I mentioned in my last post that I was considering applying at the local Spar, as they have a 'staff wanted' sign posted on the doors. So, before I talked myself out of it, I called and spoke with the manager briefly and dropped off a CV the next day.

I followed up a couple of days later and had my 'interview' this morning at 9:00 (yes, on Sunday). It was much less an interview than a 'welcome to the team', and I have a new, 6-hr per week job. I will be working 3-9 on Saturdays, with the potential to gather a few more hours if people are on holiday, over bank holidays, etc. I estimate that this will give me an extra £175 (after tax) per month, based on a steady 24 hours per month. This is quite reasonable as, along with what my sister is currently paying me back, I should be able to save/pay down my debt substantially through December. 

I've of course added these estimates to my budget and fiddled mightily with numbers, but the numbers will change depending on how I feel and what I actually receive. We get paid bi-weekly too, which was nice to hear. I think I need to think of it as 'extra' and make sure it goes to the right places (CCs, for example).

I'm quite pleased, actually, as this still gives me some time off on the weekend which is important, but also a bit of flexibility if I'm able to take on some extra hours. And I'm also very happy that I won't be putting any extra mileage/wear & tear on the car.

Hooray!

I took my car into the garage on Friday for a bit of an investigation - I'd spotted some oil and a puddle of water on the floor of the garage several days before and wanted to get it checked out in case it was the precursor to a larger issue. I took it back to the guys I got it from and they put it on the hoist for a look-see. No problems with water - levels were where they should be, so it was most likely condensation from the air con (although I rarely use it). I haven't seen any since so that's not a concern any longer, but the oil was because of a small leak with the seal around the part where you do oil changes (the mechanical term escapes me) and some seepage around the block in the engine. They're going to repair it next Friday, so that's good stuff. Hopefully, it will be a reasonable expense, but I wanted to get it done more as a preventive measure than anything - if I can spend £100 to save £1,000 down the road, it makes sense to me. Otherwise, I've had zero issues so far. It really is a pleasure to drive that car!

I've roped my neighbour into my book plotting/character motivation. I need a male (or maleS) perspective on a couple of things, so I picked his brain the other night. He had some good suggestions but said he'd ask around and see what he could get from other men. I'm really like one of the suggestions he made, however, and I'm very interested to see what will come back. He stopped by yesterday when he got home to give me something to chew on that his friend had suggested - I don't love it, but it's something to consider and I've written it down so I have it at hand. I think he's quite enjoying it, actually! Ha ha!

Otherwise, it's payday tomorrow (hooray!) and I hope my budget this month isn't as far off as it was last month! I have no idea what was going on with that, but I've made it through and here we are.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone!

8 comments:

Jane said...

Well done Annie. If you can throw that bit of extra money towards your debt every month it will really help. Is the cafe a paid position as well? How many hours is that? If you could also throw that money (if money there is) at the debt then you would see considerable pay down of your debt over the course of a year. It's a dark and gloomy day today with the Pride parade starting in a few hours - the parade will certainly brighten up the day! It's fantastic how everyone gets involved and how colourful it is. I just hope it doesn't get rained out. I'm biking down (don't drive much in the summer) but I don't mind a little rain - goodness knows I have good rain gear!
I see you have sent an email so will go have a look.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane - Thank you! Yes, that's the definite intent (also keeping in mind I need/want to start saving for yet another flat in the next 12 months, too). It's about half of what I was hoping for at the moment, but as I say, I can pick up extra hours on holiday weekends, etc. The cafe is a volunteer 'job', but I'm pleased I can keep my writing group AND that in place and manage to work around them. We've got sunshine and cooler temps today, so quite pleasant. Hope it doesn't rain and ruin the parade! At least you've got lots of experience with rain...ha ha! xx

JiCaLu said...

Look at you!! That is great, and as my mom says "make hay while the sun shines"!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi JiCaLu - thank you!! I'm quite pleased, and hope I can stay focused and tackle the debt. But the first step has been taken :D

R's Rue - thank you!

JiCaLu said...

I think you should be good - hopefully many shifts are quiet, and peaceful - worst case you can say if you don't enjoy it enough 6 months in - you can give it the old heave ho!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Well, that's just it. Take advantage of holidays and Bank Holiday weekends and earn some extra cash. I'm sure I'll be sick of it sooner rather than later, but I really need to get myself focused and clear of myo cards at least. My next thought is which to do first...I have to fiddle with my budget and costs to see what works best. Thanks for your lovely comments, as always! xx

T'Pol said...

Congrats for the new job! Extra income is always welcome :)

Northern Living Allowance said...

Thanks, T'Pol! It really is. Now to get that laser focus on my debt :D xx