Sunday 20 January 2019

Update: week four, 2019

theinspiredroom.com


I mentioned in my last post that I had taken myself off social media for three months. My social media presence is only FB because I quite frankly can't be bothered with anything else. I've found it easier than I thought to remove myself, partly because I'd already cut down over the previous couple of months, so am pleased that I don't have any withdrawal 'symptoms' from it. I also figured out how to remove the news headlines from my Google homepage on my iPad, so I don't even see those. I only hear sound bites via the radio, so am blissfully ignorant of (most) of what's going on in the world right now. And I'm okay with that for the time being.

The idea behind this was for some self-care - which is not only a physical thing but also mental, emotional and spiritual.

Back in October, I (kind of) started a bullet journal, attempting to keep myself in some kind of ordered chaos. I've (kind of) kept it up, but left myself a bit more flexibility in it as we entered the new year. I keep track of the books I read and review (those ones -->) and am making a list of things to do this year, as well as trying to keep track of my debt, my habits, my reading, etc. My words for 2019 are 'joyful adventure' - I think to remind myself to just let go a little bit and say 'yes' to necessary/scary changes. Following on from my self-imposed social media ban, I decided that each month would have a word associated with it, as a way of paying attention to what I need (whether it be good food, a walk, to stop being so hard on myself, watching my thoughts, decluttering my room, etc.). 

January's word is 'Discover'.

I watched Marie Kondo's 'Tidying Up' show on Netflix. A gentle, mindful way of decluttering your home. The 'KonMari' method works seemingly contrary to most decluttering rules, by keeping only things that bring you joy. This mindful approach is the way to a clean house apparently, so I have a few notes to review.

I decided that I need to focus at work, doing the best that I can and not being such a complainer. My colleague reflects a lot of my own stuff at me (passive-aggression mostly, also victim/martyr issues), and I've vowed to pay close attention to that this year. A couple of weeks ago I offered to change my lunch hour with her because she's always 'absolutely starving' when her lunch rolls around at 1:00 (she starts work at 7:30!). But no, 'it's fine.' So I'm not going to offer again and take that on board. It's not my problem.

I want to be more present and make sure that I'm a little more measured and thoughtful in what I say, rather than spitting out the first thing that pops into my head, in an effort to try to be funny or whatever.

I watched a show called 'Addicted to Food' last week, about recovering food addicts. Both ends of the spectrum were shown, the bulimics and anorexics and the obese. The woman who runs the treatment centre is lovely (and a recovering alcoholic/binge eater herself) and pointed out that although what they treat at the centre is food addiction, the fundamental issues for any addiction are the same (trauma, abuse, neglect, etc.). One client was determined to leave about 10 days before the end of the programme, and one thing that stuck out to me from the conversation the director had with her was that the client's first instinct is always to 'cut and run, and what would it take for you to commit? What would it feel like to commit?' I do this. When I get bored, frustrated, etc., my first instinct is to 'cut and run'. My decision is to commit to my job - despite being bored, frustrated, whatever - and just be there for it, instead of day-dreaming of 'better'. Whatever I imagine that to be. After all, in the current climate, I could be in a much worse position.

I have also decided to do this with my book. Just commit to it and get it done. How would that feel?!

So, January has been pretty good, so far!

What else? My car is fab. I'm still getting used to it but took my cousin to the little village of Burley last weekend. I wanted to get a crystal of sorts for the rearview mirror but didn't find anything. I bought some chakra-themed candles instead (abundance, joy, motivation and compassion) which smell lovely and will help clear the air around here.

We got our quarterly electric bill which was a huge shock - £706!! I was expecting it to be around £350, but not a bill that rivals a month's heating in the Yukon in mid-winter. We don't have gas, so everything is electric. The heating is via night storage heaters, old, notoriously expensive and fairly inefficient. Realistically, we can't cut ourselves off, so we've been trying to figure out the best way to deal with it. This means turning off the rads during the day (they 'charge up' overnight, on the much cheaper tariff, and release the heat during the day so I'm not sure how this is going to help...but I've agreed to try it). I had to use my travel fund to pay my share of the bill. It means I have to start from zero again, but I'm glad I had it.

My biggest (arguably only) hobby is reading. I read ALL. THE. TIME. I love it. I review pre-release books (over there -->) and currently have a backlog of about 45 books to read and review. Phew. I'm struggling to keep up. It doesn't help when you come across a book that just doesn't do it for you, although you do have the option of not finishing it. As a result, I'm beginning to resent it, as I have loads of others to read yet feel obliged to read all of these first. I got myself into this dilemma so if I can get through a couple of books a week, I'll clear up my backlog relatively quickly and will take a break from reviewing after that. When it stops being fun, stop doing it.

I had bought a book released earlier this month and which I decided to return to Amazon. The return options have changed a bit which is frustrating, and instead of printing out a return label for the item, you're now issued a scanning option which you need to take to a post office (depot) for them to scan and print. Can I be bothered? No. And the book does fit perfectly into my January 'discovery' theme, so I'm keeping it after all.

I've been walking every day at lunch, too. I manage about 1.5 miles in 30 mins (according to my app) which is quite good, but I am noticing that my breathing is starting to labour again and have a call with my doctor on Tuesday to hopefully get things arranged for a new blood test and some iron supplements. My anaemia is rearing its head again! 

Outside of that, the temperatures are on the cool side here (snow in the north!) but haven't been too bad. The walks have been pleasant and refreshing (I don't go out in the rain), and I'm feeling good doing them. Half an hour seems to be a nice balance in the middle of the day, as that still allows me lots of time to eat afterwards.

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!

8 comments:

T'Pol said...

Sooo good to hear from you again! I am glad you are doing Ok and taking good care of yourself. That electricity bill sure is way too high. What if you bought oil filled heaters? My sister and her husband bought a new apartment this year and they did not realize that the whole building was not attached to the natural gas grid. There had been some red tape issues and come winter, they literally have no heating! So, they are using small space heaters for the bathroom and kitchen and oil filled heaters for their bedroom ans small room now designated as the family room. They do not use the real family room which is much larger and extremely difficult to heat.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi T'Pol! Thank you. I'm feeling better and slightly more motivated these days, so it's nice to be back. You know, one of my colleagues suggested the oil heaters, too. I think it's an excellent suggestion! I hope your sister & BIL manage through the winter - what a predicament! Imagine no heating at all. To be fair, the temperatures aren't AWFUL, but it's just so damp...anyway, we'll figure it out. I'm likely just going to shut off my bedroom radiator. I prefer to sleep in a cooler room anyway! That might help a little bit. Glad you're feeling so much better! x

Jane said...

Hi Annie: I remember one of my older sisters had electric heating in the first home she and her ex bought and the monthly bills were unbelievable! They lived in Bracebridge which is very cold, lots of snow. I'm not sure why some areas don't have access to natural gas. It's hugely cheaper. I am wondering if you can see your electrical usage online? Then there wouldn't be any future big surprises. Just a thought. I'm sorry you had to use the travel money on your bill and hope you can replace it, and more, by September.

Treaders said...

I'm a huge reader too but as I retired on 1 January I have to figure out a way to get my reading in as I used to do it on my 2 x 45 minute bus journeys to and from work. I think that might mean not getting on the computer until evening!! And like you I always had a hard time NOT finishing a book I wasn't enjoying. Not now though. Life's too short to finish a bad (to me) book. And that is one HELL of an electric bill I must say. Would you consider getting a little mobile fuel heater. I have one where I sit and read and a 5 minute blast really kicks things up a notch.

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Jane! Yeah, it was a 'bit' of a shock, I can tell you. Holy crumb! My highest electric bill in the Yukon in December was $116, so I'm totally floored that an electric bill here can cost so much. But, as I say, it's the old heating system. It's dumb. But there we are! Roomie E is in charge of the electricity bill, but the company is basing our (estimated) bill on the people who lived there before I think. I'm not sure a change would be all that worth it to be honest. I think portable oil heaters are the way to go. xx

Hi Treaders! I go to bed early (think 9:00) so I can get my reading in. I read a lot on weekend afternoons, too. Yeah, I'm like you - I used to struggle on with something because I hated not finishing a book, but I throw in the towel if it's really not doing anything for me. As you say, life's too short for bad (to me) books! Yes, the oil heaters are a good idea. I'll have to look into them. x

JiCaLu said...

I feel like I need to disconnect too, but I find twitter so fun and informative. that heating bill is INSANE. We're in Ontario, my mom would have a conniption if the bill ever came in so high. I guess there will be a lot of layers, and figuring it out in order to get the bill down :/ can/did you call them to discuss?

I am trying to concentrate more at work too. And get back into reading, and save more $ in general. I also got a new car, finally! I'm still getting used to it, but it is good so far and now to get winter tires :/

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi JiCaLu! Yeah, the heating bill was a definite shocker. The problem is the old-fashioned, inefficient heating system - we don't have gas, so everything is electric. Even though it heats up on the off-peak electricity, we've obviously not got the hang of it... We're apparently already on the lowest possible tariff so the only other option is changing suppliers, which isn't worth it with only a few months left on our current lease. Ugh.

Anyway. Congrats on the new car! What did you get? We've got snow at the moment so travel is slower - no winter tires in the south of England! xx

JiCaLu said...

Zomg, what a mess about the heating bill. Hopefully you get the hang of it soon, esp with the snow that's coming in.

I got a 2015 Sentra - more than I wanted to spend, but I did have the $ so not too bad. Just got a set of winters for a good price too! Haha, you definitely wouldn't need them since it doesn't snow that often - personally the minute I see snow I consider the whole day cancelled anyway (but just in my head!)