Sunday 17 June 2018

Two weeks in - how are things going?

friendyourselfproject.com

There's always an adjustment period with moving - with change in general, really - isn't there? New surroundings, new people, new routines, new issues. It can really mess with you.

I am normally quite quiet and keep to myself a lot. I don't swear (much), am quite easy-going and tend to adjust relatively well to whatever is going on around me. Having said that, however, I prefer peace and quiet to chaos. Since the landlady moved back to the house in Feb (March?) and announced she was selling, it's been steady chaos, not least because there have been dogs to contend with as well. I have nothing against dogs, I love them in fact, but they're very needy creatures. I think that's why I prefer cats - they're far more independent and are quite content to spend much of their time alone. Much like me.

Anyway, the first full week we were here I felt annoyed by EVERYTHING and had a really short temper. Everything felt like BS and I was just ranting against it. The neighbour who thought my car was abandoned? F*(& you, Mr 'I'm too lazy and self-important to park it in my garage like I'm supposed to' 2009 VW Golf. What a ridiculous thing to say. Taking time off work to wait for a plumber who didn't show, when Roomie E was here (sleeping). That annoyed me no end and I stated unequivocally that I couldn't take the time off work again for the rescheduled appointment, which was Thursday at 8:15. 

Work was really getting to me. I'm frustrated by the 'information vortex' where questions, suggestions, thoughts, general info, etc. seem to enter but answers never come back out. I have offered (several times, quite keenly) to do some overtime at home/office. Instead, we've had our part-time typist in to do some catching up, which I thought was what we were trying to avoid. Don't get me wrong, she's lovely and I enjoy it when she's there, but I seem to remember a conversation about not using her as often because I HAD OFFERED OVERTIME. O_o

So, I felt really wound up and angry but strangely focused at the same time. I realise part of my frustration is that I'm currently not learning anything, even for fun, so I need to look at an evening class, an online class, or a weekend workshop of some kind. Floristry? Genealogy? Writing? Painting? Yoga? Aromatherapy? Paranormal? So many options to look into. I gave myself a card reading and it was excellent - pointed to school as my 'way out' and started and ended with 'Let Go' cards! Telling.

This week has been so much better. I've calmed down considerably and am loving the peace and quiet of this place. I've sat in the living room a couple of evenings and just revelled in the silence. Apart from birdsong, there is literally no noise. It's utter heaven. I think last week was part of the adjustment to that - from utter chaos to zero. I'm realising how badly it affects me.

So, having come 'down' I've decided to make some changes, starting with a diet overhaul. I bought this before I moved. This is their website: https://www.bosh.tv/.


It's a new vegan cookbook. I'd seen some videos on FB and they looked delicious (!). It's a beautiful book and has plenty of recipes for everyone. I'm planning an 80/20 overhaul, with meat becoming much less of a regular addition. I'm not off it entirely but I am becoming more aware of the process and finding it harder to justify eating as much. I have a cookbook/programme that my sister recommended to me and read half of it. It rang true in many ways, with respect to balancing hormones, etc. that I'm dealing with in menopause, but still didn't sit quite right. This does, so I'm going to sit down today to make a meal plan. I'm going to concentrate on dinners and lunches for now, and ideally start next week(end). I've got some bits and pieces to go through this week. But as I say, I think 80/20 will work best for me, as these are the kinds of recipes to which I can add a bit of chicken, sausage, or salmon. There are, of course, some things I simply won't eat (I'm looking at you tomatoes, olives and mushrooms...yeesh!), but there's enough stuff here that I can manage more than well enough.

I'm off to Nottingham at the end of the month for a visit with my friends and a ghost hunt in Sherwood Forest. I bought train tickets because the bus, whilst cheap, would take about 5 hours! Yikes. I got a pretty good deal on train tickets, though, although the connection in London is tight-ish. I'm trying to avoid the underground (simply because I don't like it) and the walk from Waterloo to St Pancras is about 45 minutes, but it would be only one line to get there if I decided to take the underground after all and I can manage that. I hate changing. The walk is more or less a straight line, so hopefully I won't get lost. I don't know London well enough to take shortcuts.

Our Internet & phone were set up on Thursday so we're all set there as well. A bit frustrating not to have it, but we managed - I read about 6 books (!) and am all caught up on my NetGalley reading and reviewing. I don't HAVE to read a book until August now. I'm quite relieved, as I was struggling a bit there.

Anyhow, that's my update. I'm happy to have come through my anger with some clarity  on the other side.

Hope you're all feeling good this weekend!

3 comments:

MW said...

I can relate to your feeling ungrounded/out of sorts/angry with all the incremental nervous system stressors leading up to the move etc. when things affects your immediate living environment.

Am very protective of my home space as well. I may choose to go to a very chaotic place, but that's by choice and it is for a limited time. But I wouldn't want my home to have those characteristics. It needs to be a "safe" place where I can rely on to be able to relax.

Glad you have your calm place now! Have fun searching out new classes!

Jane said...

Moving houses is a big stressor, especially when you're working full time as well. I hope Roomie E doesn't start to cause you grief. She may have been struggling with her own issues, hence being in bed. Anyhoo you are getting your life in order once again. I recently read that if everyone gave up meat and dairy global warming could be reversed. We eat only poultry and fish at the moment and I would like to eventually cut those out as well. I really don't know how the planet continues to provide enough lobsters or shrimp or fish to feed billions of people. Surely we will run out some day. (rant rant rant!)

A course is a great idea - I've been taking an 8 week course with Ekhart Tolle (who lives in Vancouver) and it is all about living in the now, being present and so on. It is wonderful - week 6 starts Thursday. Have you been out exploring what your area has to offer? Something FREE would be nice :)

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi MW! Thank you. It's really upsetting when your routine and peace and quiet are disrupted by things out of your control. Like you say, you can go TO the chaos, but you choose to and you choose the limit of your exposure. My room is fairly stripped back (in part because I'm reluctant to put much on the walls) and is very calm. It's hard to set up a space when it is, yet again, temporary. I want to 'settle' but at the back of my mind is 'but I've only got a year'. Regardless, I plan to enjoy the utter peace we have now and look for the same the next move! xx

Hi Jane! No, I'm fine now. I'm just very aware that I no longer want to share my space with anyone, no matter how we well we get along. I miss my independence. Roomie E was sleeping - she gets in late (about 11/11:30) and just didn't want to get up... O.O But she did for the rescheduled visit.

Can you email me a link for the Eckhart Tolle course you're doing? It sounds like something I could definitely use! xx