Saturday 15 April 2017

York 2.0 - Walls continued and into the Minster


Along the south-west portion of the walls now. The homes inside the walls are quite lovely, although not as cheap as I'd have thought. I suppose that goes with living in such a unique place. Prices were surprisingly high.


So pretty!






The Perky Peacock cafe. We had decided on a visit to it later in the trip, but never actually made it, unfortunately. Next trip! :D



The River Ouse. It has a lovely river walk alongside. Again, something I would've liked to have done, but you do have to pick and choose what you want to do. I think we did plenty!


Lendal Tower at Lendal Bridge. This is apparently a holiday let property! How much fun would that be?



Up Museum Street towards the beautiful Minster.


This was a half-hourly tourist train direct to the Minster. From where I'm not sure.


Daffodils brightening the city up.



A beautiful building that took 200 years to build!







Heading back to the hotel, two blocks from the gate at the end of the street.


The Georgian House Mews. A three-star guest house that isn't trying particularly hard for the fourth star. It was absolutely fine for our purposes (location and cost), but we had a few little issues. Despite dirty glasses, no toilet paper, it not being the cleanest of rooms and a rather lengthy wait at our first breakfast (the staff weren't paying attention - a German guest approached them first, then me), I would stay again as it was comfortable enough and the price was definitely right!


Around the Minster.






Some of the hundreds of grotesques decorating the building. There is ongoing work to repair and refurbish the brickwork - you can see some new bricks here, the fresh yellow ones.





Stunning.









The Minster organ.



Everything is so beautifully and elaborately crafted.


The ceiling in the Chapter House.


Some of the hundreds of little grotesques all around the Chapter House walls.





The beautiful floor.


I climbed to the top - this is only halfway!






Finally made it all the way up! Phew - it was quite a trek. Well worth it, however! Look at the views.






A few of the 275 steps.



The kings from the beginning of the building of the Minister through its completion! Two walls' worth! 











The windows are truly amazing. Some were being cleaned and refurbished, but the colours really are glorious.


The Kings Book of Heroes - listing all those who fought and died in WWI. A beautiful tribute.

I'm finally feeling better after being sick for nearly two weeks! So frustrating, added to by email problems at work last week. I was pretty grumpy for awhile, so good for everyone that I'm feeling better. Ha ha!

My cousin is visiting her mum this weekend so I have the house to myself. I didn't do much of anything yesterday: booked a tune-up for my bike and went out to get a few staples, but otherwise puttered around and didn't get much of anything done. 

I haven't been on my bike in M-O-N-T-H-S and am feeling quite guilty about it. I'm intending to ride it to work over the summer as my train pass is expiring in May and it would save me some money, but I'll see how it works out. It would take me almost an hour to get there, but I'd feel really good about it! I'd still like another train pass, though, so will discuss with the MDs for another one. They were very open to it last year.

Today I was feeling well and energetic enough to take myself for a walk this morning. I did just over 3 miles and felt great doing it. I've not felt like it since I got sick, so I'm glad to be feeling better enough to start again. I've missed it! I got the best of the day today as it was sunny and bright and by the time I got home an hour later the sun had gone in and it was considerably cooler. I'm planning on a similar walk tomorrow and Monday.

I've got some baking on my to do list as well which I'm going to tackle tomorrow: a loaf, some breakfast muffins and a lime coconut cake. YUM!

(More photos tomorrow or Monday!)

5 comments:

T'Pol said...

Beautiful photos! I so want to visit the UK. May be next year. WHo are the statues kneeling at the Cathedral?

Holly said...

Hi there! I have just discovered your blog and am off for a look through :)

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi T'Pol! Yes, come see me ;)

The statues are various dignitaries. This was the tomb portion of the Minster and these are all plaques and memorials to Bishops, Archbishops, Lords and Ladies, etc. Quite elaborate and plenty of marble. xx

Carla said...

Wow... so many gorgeous buildings!! Thanks so much for sharing those with us!! I hope you're feeling better soon! Xox I read your blog all the time but have been slack with the comments.. *blush* I should be less lazy. Can't wait to see more pics!!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Holly! Thank you - look away :) It's nice to have new visitors. I already follow you xx

Hi Carla - thank you! Feeling much better now. I do understand - I read yours all the time too, but am also slack with comments. Glad you're enjoying the photos! :D xx