Tuesday 2 August 2016

Catching up on a little reading...

 
My cousin accidentally severed the TV cable cord while she was tidying up her garden about a month or so ago, so we've been using YouTube and various iPlayer type things to watch 'TV' on my computer instead. It's actually better, because you can pick and choose something you know you'll enjoy rather than just watching something for the sake of it which, I admit, we do far, far too often.
 
So it's been 4 full seasons of 'Jeeves & Wooster', six episodes of a new show called 'New Blood' (police drama, brilliant), some ghost shows ('Most Haunted' & 'Ghost Adventures') and catching up with one of my favourite shows, 'Mock the Week.' The host, Dara O'Briain is one of the funniest men on TV.
 
I've also been 'collecting' books - utilising what I can find the in library or picking up interesting sounding ones from used book stores - and am going through them at quite a pace. The library for the most part is a free service, as it is at home, apart from CDs or DVDs, but I've been perusing my Goodreads site today and searching the Hampshire library system online and have put 16 books on hold (work is s-l-o-w). Reservations cost .50p each, so I've currently racked up £8. Still, considering how much I usually spend on books, it's still a bargain.
 
There are already 4 waiting for me at my home branch! Ha ha!
 
I've zoomed through 6 library books and four of my own new (used) ones in the past 2.5 weeks. Granted, they've not been particularly challenging, but I've enjoyed them and I read them mostly during my commute, so I get about an extra hour a day to read. They were cosy mysteries, and I've now moved on to Bill Bryson's 'Made in America.' I like to read a couple of non-fiction books after I've gorged on fiction, just to keep myself balanced. I don't read non-fiction as quickly, and am quite particular about it.
 
So, the summer is all set with lots of reading to be done.
 
I also got a nice surprise last week when I received 6 free train passes in the mail from the train company I travel with to work. Because I have an annual pass for the train, I get a few benefits, like upgrading for a small(er) fee, discounts on rail travel, etc. Apparently, I also get free trips anywhere on the system this summer so, WIN! I can take someone(s) with me as well so as long as I have my rail card with me and keep the free ticket on hand, I can take my sister or cousin on a day trip somewhere. Salisbury springs to mind at the moment...
 
Ireland in 24 days! Transportation is now booked, as is a ghost walk in Dublin.
 
Serious consideration is being given to returning to school in the fall for an acupressure diploma. There's a college near Brighton (about an hour away) that I'm looking at, as there doesn't seem to be anything closer. It's not too expensive, the course is one weekend per month for 11 months, and it is something I've tried and very much enjoyed in the past. As I say, I'm just considering it at this point, but I'm feeling a bit frustrated that I'm not continuing to move forward, at least in the respect of learning something.
 
Anyway, work is very quiet at the moment so I'm doing filing (long, LONG overdue filing), the weather isn't fantastic so I haven't really been out on my bike, I bought a desk, I've joined my cousin on her Weight Watchers plan (just the food part), and life, for the most part is good. I've had a bit of an epiphany about depression and how long it's been affecting me, so I've made an appointment with my doctor to get a referral for some counselling to do some digging. To start the process, I've taken myself off FB for the time being, as I can literally lose myself for hours in it with nothing of note to show when I finally get off it.
 
Otherwise, I'm counting down the days to Ireland (over there --->) and will be focussing on that for the next couple of weeks to make sure I don't forget anything, pick up anything last minute I might need, etc. and will be doing a lot of reading! :)

No comments: