Sunday 5 September 2010

Labour Day weekend...and decisons.

A long weekend at last! For what it's worth at least. I'm working most of it, but I'm resigned to that now as I keep digging myself back into debt and it feels like I'm going to be doing it forever. Again. But no, I need to make some decisions this weekend (financial) that will hopefully force me to sit up and take more serious notice of my debt and its constant presence in my life.

Last month I bought new furniture. Did I NEED new furniture? Not necessarily and I most definitely didn't need to finance it. But I did that, too. I don't regret it, as I am far more comfortable and relaxed at home. But it took me a definite step backwards with respect to getting myself out of debt.


My sister is currently on her way to Edinburgh for school. She arrived in London today and is staying with my brother before she heads north. I am immensely homesick for the UK and this is just making it worse. Although "homesick" isn't necessarily the proper word, it feels like that, even though it's been almost 20 years since I've set foot in the UK. Way too long, but it's been very, very strong this year, this pull and now I'm more determined than ever to visit before much longer.

I'm just feeling very mixed up and frustrated with respect to what I want and what I need. Monday is my first day off in just over two weeks, so I have a lot of things to do. Some housework, some school work and lots of thinking. I know this has to do with the fact that I'm just tired from working 7 days a week, but I'm still going to do it because it needs to be done.

On a more positive note, I got my German class last week and have been looking it over all ready. It's going to be a challenge for sure, but I'm really looking forward to it and my friends are willing to help, too, so that's a huge bonus for me. I need to do well on this, as I've paid for it and if I pass, two-thirds of the course will be paid back to me through work! That's a huge incentive, too.

My mother was here for a visit, too, and while it rained the whole time she was here, she did accomplish something I never thought possible: she taught me to knit! We got some really lovely wool and needles from the knitting shop in town and after a few tries, I got the hang of it and am slowly working on getting my first ever creation underway. She & I are knitting an afghan, which is a simple project and one that will keep me warm during the winter to boot! I haven't knitted since I was a Girl Guide, and then only for a badge. My sister and I were terrible tomboys and I refused to learn anything remotely "girly" for years. However, since the knitting has taken hold - albeit a loose one - I am planning on learning to can next year! I know - whoa, Nelly! But canning time is basically past this year and I have a lot on my plate, so one thing at a time.

While my mother was here she also mentioned that she wanted me to get a new(er) car. I love my old truck, however, I realize that it is also not the safest nor the most reliable vehicle on the road. Plus I'm not sure the heater works anymore. Long story short, my mother offered me $10K - a loan! - and I would get myself a new(er) car BEFORE THIS WINTER. Eee! There are a couple at one of the dealerships here that I'm looking at, plus a friend's BIL is a car broker and may have something for me to consider shortly. Anyhow, the pressure is on, a bit, but I can't say I'm entirely unhappy about it.

I WILL PAY MY MOTHER BACK. That was the agreement.

And I have managed to save enough to pay for a proper will! :) Now I just have to find a lawyer to get it written up properly. I'm really pleased! It seemed to take forever, but I guess it was only about 6 months or so. I can at least cross that off my 2010 goals list! :P

I'm rambling now, but hopefully will have a moment to update after the weekend and let you know what I've decided to do. I hope you all have a relaxing, enjoyable weekend!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Good luck. It sounds like things are slipping just a bit, which just makes it all the harder. Do what you need to do, don't beat yourself up and just keep moving forward.

I started knitting within the past year and I love it! I find it very peaceful and calming. Sounds like you could use a bit of that!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi Mary - thank you! I do sound a bit manic, don't I? Oh dear. I'm just very tired, and I know that I need some time off to focus, to sleep, to eat well...

Knitting IS relaxing. I turn on a DVD and can somehow "watch" and knit at the same time. I'm quite enjoying that aspect of it! :)