Sunday 2 August 2009

What a weekend!

I'm behind in my postings but catching-up is going to have to wait just a bit longer!

I worked at the hotel on Friday (7-3), got home at shortly past 5 and made the "mistake" of picking up the phone when it rang moments after I got in. I'm now staying in the small community (pop. 400) of Teslin, about 2 hours south of Whitehorse and I'll be here until tomorrow morning, unless something changes in the next 12 hours.

The phone call I got was from a branch of government I worked with a couple of summers ago and really enjoyed. They take care of the wildfires of the Yukon during the summer months and they are severely short staffed this summer and have lots of fires to contend with. So they put a call out for reinforcements and that's how I ended up out here. There are 5 fires around the area, creating lots of smoke, but fortunately contained on the far side of the lake, where there are fewer properties and other values. They are keeping a close eye on the movement and were up in the helicopters at least a dozen times yesterday tracking the spread.

I arrived here at 11pm on Friday night and won't be going home until Monday morning sometime. I've had to inform my boss (who very kindly took on last minute cat-sitting for me!) that there's a chance I won't make the start of my shift tomorrow, what with briefing the secretary who's normally here (for something else entirely!), travelling back to the city, unloading my stuff/dropping off the vehicle I was given to use (a monster!), heading home to shower and then getting to work just won't happen for 1pm.

Regardless, it's been great to be back among the crews and familiar faces, despite the fact it's all over tomorrow. I miss D and my cats and my nice cool bedroom back home and I was rushing to get organized so quickly I didn't bring a jacket with me (it's drizzling and cool today, but that's good for fires), a crossword puzzle book or even anything to read!! ARGH!! So I'm stuck watching satellite TV instead and there are not many channel choices, leaving me happy that I no longer have even cable to fuss over! When you've been away from it for so long, you really do realize that you're not missing a damn thing. But...unfortunately, I am taking in the "best" that NBC has to offer in the evenings, although I wish the Knowledge network was available for those English mysteries I love. Ah well. My own fault for rushing, really.

I have lists of spends to post at some point, but as I say, that will have to wait. As it is, I'm sneaking in time to post this. I will admit, however, that I spent $$ on three DVD boxsets the other day: S4 "Weeds," S1 "Saving Grace," (don't know much about it, but it's gotten good reviews and intrigues me) and S1 "Trueblood," the Charlaine Harris Book-to-TV series which I'm VERY excited about as I love the books.

Have yourselves a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait for Sunday's True Blood showing. Its going to be a good one. I am seriously considering buying S1. I'm addicted. :)

Glad to hear you are keeping happily busy!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi MF - that's good to know! I'm buying it sight unseen, but as I say, I LOVE the books, so I'm excited to see how they've translated them to the screen. :)