Friday 3 January 2020

Getting organised



friendsofln.wixsite.com


Word(s) for January: Indulge Abundantly

Well, in trying to keep some kind of 'beginnings of change' moving forward - if slowly - today I took the car to Halfords (a chain more or less dedicated to cars & bikes) to get a bulb replaced in the front headlight. I noticed it had gone yesterday and instead of being my usual 'can't be bothered right now' self, I made a point of driving the almost 3 miles to my closest outlet and having the bulb replaced. Apart from a dumb move on the large roundabout I try to avoid (for just that reason... *ahem* ...), I made it without incident. It cost me £16.90: £8.90 for the bulb, and £8 for the fellow to replace it. Well worth it as far as I'm concerned as, starting on Monday, I'll be driving home through the dark again and need both headlights.

Ten minutes and I was all done. Fab. One less thing to worry about and as far as car costs go, exceptionally reasonable.

I mentioned on the first how I felt it was important for me to run this year. These are the new bits & pieces I bought last week and which arrived about an hour ago. I bought them online from a site called Sweaty Betty. I'm planning to try my first run on Sunday morning. Because I'm still unsure how I'll be able to breathe (have been having some similar issues to my anaemia issues from several years ago), I thought I would give it a go and see how I feel. I probably need to follow up with my doctor anyway, so will wait until next week to arrange a call with her, just to see is she recommends more blood tests, etc.

I also need to pay attention to my knees & hips and see how they feel after a few days of running.


7/8 length leggings - they feel glorious! I kept running my hands up and down my legs. Ha ha! Have some compression to them, as well as a 'bum sculpt' feature. Will let you know how/if that actually works.



A new, proper running bra and shirt for warmer weather ('beetle blue'). Lovely and soft, if a bit revealing around my post-Christmas, face-stuffing-for-two-weeks tum.



A yoga bra/top (made of bamboo). See description above about the fit.

I signed up for my online yoga site yesterday, too. I bought a year's worth of access via Groupon for £12 sometime in June or July, and have waited until now to redeem the voucher (new year enthusiasm/anticipation and all that).

I also bought some lightweight, cheap-ish walking shoes which are more suited to evening walks. Not sure they'd take me too far without issue, but a couple of miles should be okay.

Overall, while I haven't done anything I had set out to do, I feel rested, relaxed and ready to go back to work (I guess...). Although I've slept well, I've eaten far too much and feel heavy and bloated, but that will change starting on Sunday when my first meal delivery box arrives. I've got meals for 5 days in it (my first 4 deliveries are 25% off, plus I somehow had a £14 credit, so took advantage), going down to 4 per week for the rest of the month. I know the food is delicious and the portions on the large side, so ideally they'll work out for two meals each for me - a dinner, and lunch the following day.

I'm working on my new bullet journal along with thinking of 100 things I want to do this year. I only managed to list 65 items last year and accomplished only half a dozen of those, so intend to do better this year. My items include completing the Couch to 5k (running programme), sorting out my car insurance (it's double what it should be because I have a 'claim' from three years ago, when I really don't), baking, visiting London (because I haven't recently - two years? More?), reading 52 books this year (one a week seems doable, more than that feels a bit 'urgent', and books should be enjoyed not rushed through), etc.

I was a 'bit' profligate with my credit card before Christmas and bought myself a few things: a new stand mixer for baking, an Amazon Alexa, a subscription to a writing magazine, and all the items above. The mixer is brilliant and I've already made two cakes with it, a carrot cake for my neighbour's birthday (turned out very well if I do say so myself, and he was very pleased), and a salted caramel chocolate cake which was delicious. It really makes a difference, time-wise, having a mixer to do the hard work for you. It's brilliant.

Alexa has a huge variety of things it can do, but at the moment I'm using it just for the sheer variety of music. Roomie E is starting to understand how to use it now, rather than just shouting at it. Ha ha!

We had our neighbour over last Sunday for an Italian Christmas dinner, which was absolutely delicious. There was wine, cotechino (a sausage), mashed potato and lentils. We had home-made panettone (pear and dark chocolate) and the salted caramel cake for dessert. We were visiting for about 6 hours - so much fun! He's a really lovely guy. He and I now have to think of things for an 'international' night - pondering what South African (him) and Canadian (me) dishes we can contribute. Poutine and Nanaimo bars? Mmmm. Yikes!

So, already a bit of financial advice required. I currently have £1200 set aside for a flat deposit/move, but am wondering if it would be more beneficial to wipe the CC off (again) and re-save for the flat? Ideally, I'll do both, but think not having the debt is more beneficial in the long run really, particularly since we have no idea what's happening in respect of Brexit (which has now apparently been pushed back to 31 Dec 2020?! Boris - please explain? I thought it was the end of January...). Thoughts, suggestions welcome!

Happy New Year everyone!

4 comments:

T'Pol said...

Happy New Year NLA! Good resolutions! Be easy on the body though. At our age, we should take it slowly. As for your question: Do you have to move now? If not, I would pay the CC off. I hate paying interest. I also hate having nothing in an Emergency Fund. So, if there is no pressing issue for you to move in the foreseeable future, I would pay off the CC and keep a little sum for an EF. The world is entering another era of chaos and I am sure Brexit will be the last thing to worry about. I think, you should wipe off CC debt, save a healthy EF and then, save for a flat. Again, I wish all the best for you in this New Year.

Treaders said...

Gosh your list makes me tired just reading it, but good for you for being so positive! I just signed up for the "Walk 1,000 Miles in 2020" on FB. I managed to get a walk in yesterday but not today and given that we'll have snow for maybe 3 months of the year I need to really get going. Still, I'm quite excited about it (we'll see how long that lasts I guess). And bloody Brexit, tell me about it. It shouldn't affect you though should it?

Gill - That British Woman said...

I would pay off credit card debt if it were me, hate paying interest...........did my first walk on Friday for 2020!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Hi T'Pol - Happy New Year to you as well! Thank you - the list of resolutions is not complete, but a good start and can be fine-tuned as I go. I don't have to move now BUT there's definitely the potential of a move before our year here is up (end of June), so I want to have funds in place prior to that. I need to do a little more thinking as, while I hate paying the interest on the card, I also have other things I need/want to do and my primary paycheque hasn't grown in two years (hence the second job). Perhaps a compromise somewhere. Hopefully this year we'll actually get a review and a pay rise. You're right, however, regarding the chaos (less than a week in!). Safe travels home! xx

Hi Treaders - well, it's a list that may or may not be completed (it also includes buying new underwear and socks, so...) over the course of the year, but if I don't write things down then they're less likely to be crossed off at all! :D I like your 1000 miles idea - I think I might join you. Will check out the link on your blog. Who knows what's going on with Brexit? Will we get drawn into another war in the Middle East and repurpose our funds for that? Brexit is now - from what I understand - dragging out until the end of THIS year. I'm not sure what happened to the 31 January 2020 exit date/strategy/threat/waffle... Oy. XX

Hi Gill - thank you. I'm very conflicted - thinking perhaps to keep a minimum in my flat deposit account and then pay off monthly from there. And congratulations! 'Start as you mean to finish', eh? I did my first run today! xx